Paint wheels and remove wheel simulators? Which color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

I related in a recent post about my blowout and tire replacement.
Lots of grief with the tire extensions leaking and causing problems.  the stem in one got bent and leaked so the tire shop couldn't install it.  the next day I found another had been leaking so I pulled it off.

These things have been such a headache over the years.  Better with the rigid extensions over the OEM flexible ones, but still.
My problem is all because the holes in the wheel simulators are just too small.  Can't get in there to air up, or to put dust caps or TPMS sensors on.
So I had kicked myself for not having on hand some dually valve extensions for this unplanned tire work...  But the guy said my local discount tire would replace the stems at no charge given the situation... but still, that around $100 and time to get it to the shop....

So I had a thought that I could just enlarge the holes in the simulators.... and later while pumping gas had an epiphany of how I could do it...but still a fair bit of work and may not end up looking great since I'd be learning on the job

Later, when I pulled the simulators off to get at my now inaccessible transmitters, I had the thought that it may be easier to just paint the steel wheels and put the simulators into storage.  Solves almost all the problems in an easy way and saves money too! win win!

& I'm surprised to here that DW thinks she might be ok with the look of it too. She thinks black.  I'm not so sure.  Concerned it might look a bit too much "pimp my ride"

What color would you go with?

Sorry not the best photo... coach is grey, with black stripes, and some of the swishes are a really dark almost black blue

Attachments

• IMG_20170417_080319208.jpg
    IMG_20170417_080319208.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 76
Can you play with the color of the wheels with a photo editing program? That would be the easiest and least expensive way to see what you and your wife like.

yeah, photoshopping actually came to mind.  Not something I'm experienced doing though.  i thought about getting the marketing guy at work to do up some suggestions but hate to go to that much trouble.... when I already know the answer..... and that is "whatever she wants".

I just thought I'd throw it out to you folks here, thinking some might have a more artistic eye than me and may have some sound advice...

I was figuring matching grey might be tricky to get right, especially in a rattle can....
but my eye is leaning more to a "complimentary" grey color..... maybe a mediumgrey or perhaps a medium silver, or maybe even a darker charcoal grey

I'm toying with picking up a can of a good black and some other grey color that strikes my fancy....clean up both sides then do one side black and the other color on the opposite side and see how they look.  Then once DW tells me she likes the black best, I'll go around with the black on the other three corners.... :eek:

Many auto paint suppliers can match the colors on your coach and put it in rattlecans for you.

Or download your own free photo editor. (GIMP) I don't have myself yet, but I hear it's a pretty nice program.

utahclaimjumper said:
  Your the one that needs to be pleased with the results.>>>Dan

My thought was he should go with the majority vote here on the forum. Change my vote to spinners!  ;D

I vote gray on one side and black on the other side!  Why be conventional?  Each side will look great, and you can not see both sides at the same time!

kdbgoat said:
Many auto paint suppliers can match the colors on your coach and put it in rattlecans for you.

Or download your own free photo editor. (GIMP) I don't have myself yet, but I hear it's a pretty nice program.

I like Gimp a lot -- been using it for years. And it's free (in both senses of the word) and powerful.

If you must remove the outer shells...WHITE is the only color to go with...Look around almost all trailers have white wheels...It just looks cleaner. BLACK is something you might see in South Central LA. Now I have been down this road before. IT IS A HUGE PAIN to tape off the tires so you don't get overspray on the rubber. It really looks crappy if you even get a hint of paint on the tires. Your best bet is to remove the tires and paint em up...Lots of work my friend!!!

Back
Top Bottom