Painting/dyeing carpet..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoparGirl

Hi all, first timer here! Bf and I just bought an 80something wickes skylark for $1500. It sat in a trailer park for most of its life and was well taken care of by an older couple and were quite excited! He's taking care of outside/mechanical issues and Ive started on the inside  ;D I'm an avid DIYer and have painter the whole issue and replaced the linoleum with leftover tiles from our house reno's the only think that has me stumped is the awful green carpet in the bedroom area. It's truly awful, bluey green margarita throwup color :-[ replacing is not in my budget, I'm wondering if anyone has painted using fabric spray paint or dyed with something like rit dye? Any and all suggestions welcome!! Thanks guys!

I have used Plasti-Cote(IIRC) spray on auto carpets in the past. I was redoing the same color (black) and autos had closed loop carpet at the time. It worked very well and didn't stiffen up the carpet as one would think paint would. I don't know how it would work on a cut pile or shag carpet though. Being that it would be a small area to redo, maybe a local carpet shop/installer would have scraps large enough to temporarily replace until budget allows to recarpet to your liking. I can kinda imagine the color you are describing and would rather have a couple of temporary seams in a carpet I liked than the old color.

Most regular dyes, e.g. Rit, probably won't "take" on the synthetic fiber used in most carpets. A fabric paint might work, or at least be an improvement! I've seen, but not used, a carpet spray dye from HiTech that might be worth a try. It's available from various online sources - here's one:
http://www.finditparts.com/products/2069767/hi-tech-industries-ht-460

Not sure if this is any better than the Plas-T-Kote usually available at Walmarts or hardware stores.

Just take it all out and continue the floor tile into the bedroom.  Way easier to clean and if you want carpet for foot comfort you can use throw rugs that can easily be put in the washer and dryer.  Dye won't work on the carpet and you will ruin your socks walking on it.  The paint might work, maybe but you will need a lot of it and that will cost you and if it doesn't you will still have to take it out and replace it with something.  Take it out now and replace it with cheap peel and stick tile until you can afford better.

I put the good stuff in the main part of the trailer and the cheap tiles in the bedroom because so little of it would show and it looks fine.  One day I will replace it, but for now the best part is no more carpet in the trailer.

1- pull it up, paint the floor
2- pull it up, get a small remnant- it, at least will be clean

check Craigslist for free carpeting. Lots of people doing renos will post there to save the expense and hassle of getting rid of older carpet.

Go to home center box store look in bargain been.  We got some high end carpet for cheap!!! pulling and install our this weekend.

MoparGirl said:
Hi all, first timer here! Bf and I just bought an 80something wickes skylark for $1500. It sat in a trailer park for most of its life and was well taken care of by an older couple and were quite excited! He's taking care of outside/mechanical issues and Ive started on the inside  ;D I'm an avid DIYer and have painter the whole issue and replaced the linoleum with leftover tiles from our house reno's the only think that has me stumped is the awful green carpet in the bedroom area. It's truly awful, bluey green margarita throwup color :-[ replacing is not in my budget, I'm wondering if anyone has painted using fabric spray paint or dyed with something like rit dye? Any and all suggestions welcome!! Thanks guys!

Usually polyester carpet cannot be dyed, yes wool carpets and nylon carpets can be dyed. You may use spray for dyeing the carpet or you may use a rotary scrubber which has nylon bristles to apply the dye, this will not have cause any penetration issues as that occurs by the spraying it. This scrubber method is the best method but needs some professional experience to apply it correctly.

Back
Top Bottom