Parking brake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beerman

Hi! I haven't used my rv in a few years due to lack of funds. I have a 1991 Ultrastar and I can't get the parking break to release. I can't even see where it goes. Any ideas? I was thinking of taking the calipers off and working them in and out to see if they are stuck.

In my experience, cars, Ford chassis motorhomes, parking brake does not work on calipers (disk brakes) but possibly on a brake on driveshaft. The cable to these can rust up, refuse to budge from the "on" position, and is usually not hard to replace. Have you traced the cable to the parking brake?

IN fact that is how GM and Workhorse do it as well, though different chassis models activate differnetly.

Most always yo uwill find a brake drum on the transmission tail.  (Just aft of the tranny) this is very common on Trucks of all makes.

It is a 100% mechanical breake,, On some it's all levers (Very good) on some it's cables (Which rust) if you find it and it is cable operated you may be able to muscle it "off" (release inside first, If it's pedal operated tie the pedal up)

Then you can easily replace the cable.

Maybe it has the Autopark system, and if it is you may need to change the green solenoids on the hydraulic unit.

corky 

With the chevy auto park system the emergency brake will not release with just the manual control. You must put it in gear or neutral before the auto park will release. You should have a auto park light on your dash. As long as it is lit your parking brake is on. Only when that light goes out can you move.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom