Passport America Caravans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buck2520

Does anyone have experience dealing with Passport America Caravans? In 2021 We bought a 2022 guided RV caravan trip from them but had to cancel. We had paid in full for the trip, $6,500. We canceled the trip within the required timeline published on their web site. Ryan Simmons allowed us to sign up for the 2023 trip and just kept our payment as payment for the 2023 trip. Now we have had to cancel the 2023 trip and Ryan Simmons refuses to follow his own company terms and conditions regarding refunds of cancelled trips. I am Very distressed that our $6,500 refund (less 3% fee) is not being honored by this company. Not sure how to get them to comply with their own company policy. We live in Idaho and the company is in Florida. Any suggestions? I believe it is to late to dispute the credit card charge.

Go to an attorney with the terms and conditions and explain what has transpired. Have the attorney write a letter to the company. Might cot you some money but a letter from an attorney might get some action.

Yes thought of that. Think any legal action would have to be filed in Florida. Passport America just not responding at all anymore. May need a Florida attorney.

I believe it is to late to dispute the credit card charge.
"Believe" ??? Call the number on the back of the credit card and find out for sure. Perhaps two more days will be too late.

The CC will be the easiest way to deal with such a problem.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I doubt if anybody here knows the Terms & Conditions of your contract well-enough to comment knowledgeably about it. Obviously you believe your contract provides for a refund (less 3%) and Passport does not agree. You need to have a contract law professional review the contract and advise what recourse you have (if any) and then decide your next step. Doesn't necessarily have to be a lawyer - could be a paralegal or a consumer counselor of some sort. Some areas have legal aid organizations that will help with this sort of thing.

A small claims court action might have to be filed in Florida, but that's a possible future step and you aren't there yet.

Keep in mind they simply may not have $6500 laying around, as the last few years have been hard on a lot of businesses in the tourist industry with the covid shutdown, cost increase, inflation, fuel cost, etc.

I note that Passport didn't refund for the original reservation either - instead they just re-scheduled Buck2520 for a later caravan. Perhaps that's all the contract calls for, despite what Buck2520 thinks.

Perhaps that's all the contract calls for, despite what Buck2520 thinks.
I wonder if travel insurance would be availble for and apply to one of these caravans? We just booked a cruise and we get it for those, which is what made me wonder? With what we get if we cancel for any reason the insurance will repay any part of our expenditure that the cruise line doesn't.

I am not a lawyer, but I would think that the credit card payment fraud would be counted as the day they refused to refund your money, not the day over a year ago that you charged that amount. In other words, they did not commit fraud until they refused to refund your money.

Also, did they put their refusal in writing?? This should not be just verbal over the phone, but in a document you can show the credit card company and/or lawyer and prove that fraud has been committed.

In any case, a lawyer needs to review your contract with them to make sure it says what you think it says.

From the current Passport America site regarding cancellations of their caravans. Note this may or may not apply to previous trips.

”What if I need to cancel?
Cancellations 60 days prior to the start of the Caravan will get 100% of the $500 deposit back. Any amounts paid above the deposit will be subject to a 3% charge. Total trip balance is due 60 days prior to the start date of the caravan. Cancellations between 60 days and 30 days prior to the start of the caravan will be refunded all monies except $500. Cancellations 4 weeks prior to the caravan will receive all monies except $1000. (if within 4 weeks you will receive a $500 voucher towards any future trip)”

I wonder if travel insurance would be availble for and apply to one of these caravans? We just booked a cruise and we get it for those, which is what made me wonder? With what we get if we cancel for any reason the insurance will repay any part of our expenditure that the cruise line doesn't.
Years ago I bought cancel for any reason travel insurance for a school trip my son was scheduled to take to Washington, DC (1,200 miles away by bus) when he was in Jr High, and we opted to not let him go, and tried to claim the cancel for any reason, and they refused to refund our money. Perhaps I should mention that his trip was scheduled to leave for DC on Sept 20, 2001, and we were nervous about him being there as part of a school group due to potential terrorist attacks. Apparently worried about terrorist attacks the week after 9/11 they did not consider a valid "reason".

Ok, I have filed complaint with Florida Attorney General and initiated dispute with credit cards. I am hoping that since the cause of action for the credit card dispute didn’t happen until Oct of 2022, the fact the payment was made in 2021 will not keep them from investigating the complaint. Still have no resolution from BBB complaint because Passport America Caravans is not responding to them. PA Caravan has gone silent and will not respond to me. Guess they just think the issue will go away if they just ignore it. Not a good business practice in my opinion. I’ll post updates if I get them.

My experience with these types of situations is that the Attorney General route often gets the company responding quickest. Credit card company is next, especially if the cc company has other complaints about the business. BBB does not hurt, but has no monetary or legal authority to force a resolution.

Could copy your own Attorney General as well since a constituent of their's has been damage - and, your AG might just be glad to drop a note to support you as you plead with the FL AG.

Let us know and good luck.

Still no resolution from BBB or Florida AG. Credit card disputes filed. Passport America Caravans has gone silent, will not respond to me or the BBB. Think they will have to respond to credit card dispute or they automatically loose. This whole process sure takes a lot of time and produces a lot of stress.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice.

Yes, I am sure the are still in business. I am in Idaho, they are in Florida, so phone and email are only options and they refuse to talk to me or the BBB.

Back
Top Bottom