Passport renewal with mail forwarding address

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

I need to request a name change on my passport and wondering how to handle the address. I only have our mail forwarding address. The application form asks for a permanent address if the listed mailing address is a PO box, etc.

I would be interested in learning how others have dealt with this?

Thanks,
Debra

If you're using Escapees Mail Forwarding Service, their mail forwarding addresses have been ruled to be valid residence addresses. I became a leaseholder in one of their co-op parks to simplify these issues. Even though I'm not there year round it's my legal address for residency, voting, taxes, vehicle registration, etc. Plus it was nice having a place to land when "two weeks to flatten the curve" morphed into an extended lockdown.

Call or email your mail forwarding service and ask them. They should know.

I've heard great things about Escapees Mail Forwarding Service and how their addresses are recognized as valid residences, which definitely eases some of the stress. I found it helpful to establish a legal address through a similar co-op arrangement. It just simplifies everything, from residency to taxes and voting. And let's not forget the unexpected twists of fate, like prolonged lockdowns! Having a place to anchor during uncertain times is invaluable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to request a name change on my passport and wondering how to handle the address.
When my wife and I needed to renew our passports we were fulltime with our only address being the Escapee's mail service so we used it. There was no problem at all. Your passport does not have any address on it and only documents your citizenship, not where you live.

When my wife and I needed to renew our passports we were fulltime with our only address being the Escapee's mail service so we used it. There was no problem at all. Your passport does not have any address on it and only documents your citizenship, not where you live.

But the Escapees address appears as a permanent (aka street) address, not a PO Box. If you only have a PO box or PMB you will need to provide a physical location address as well. It goes on file, not printed on the passport.

Greetings,

MyRV Mail gives you a street address on Highway 85 north. Another option.

But the Escapees address appears as a permanent (aka street) address, not a PO Box. If you only have a PO box or PMB you will need to provide a physical location address as well.
That is not true. The Escapee mail service is a PMB or private mailbox and is registered as such with the USPS. The only thing unique about it is that the state of TX has chosen to recognize it as a legal address but that has noting to do with getting a passport. There is no address requirement at all other than a place to send the new passport. The following is from the US Passport Information website.

Renew by mail if you respond "Yes" to all statements below about your most recent passport:
  • I can submit it with my application.
  • It is not damaged (other than normal wear and tear).
  • I have never reported it lost or stolen.
  • It was issued within the last 15 years.
  • It was issued when I was age 16 or older.
  • It was issued in my current name, or I can provide another document such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree that is evidence of my name change.
  • It was not limited to less than the normal 10 year period of validity because I've lost multiple passports or I've had multiple damaged passports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom