Personal Protection While Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Relax a little. Even if all crazy people carry guns, that does not mean that all people carrying guns are crazy. And not all crazy people carry guns, so the population of gun-toting crazy people is whittled down quite a bit.
That just made my brain hurt. It reminds me of that math question in school with the two circles over lapping each other, you know the "sets" and "subsets" thing? It still makes my brain hurt!

The bed safe which came on our 2023 TT can be used to lock up a donut 🍩. Yummy.

We have too many wild animals here for that purpose including mountain lion, bear, coyote, fox, elk, moose, and we're going to get wolves. Thank you Denver!

My only fear ever was when a buck kept challenging us when my wife and I were walking to our TT. After a bold mountain lion incident in 1984 within the Lehman Caves National Monument (Great Basin now) I have traveled with a high power lever action rifle too.

Thinking of upgrading to a 10MM from the 9MM that I carry.

"Oh, and get this. There’s a gun safe in the trailer as well as a mounting bracket where you can mount your ax up in the front storage compartment. You can tell that Outdoors RV is truly in lumberjack country. Okay, they don’t call it a gun safe but it’s a safe about the size of a handgun with a combination lock right above the nightstand on the road side in the bedroom – so draw your own conclusions. Actually, the brochure calls it an “easy access home defense bed safe.”"

"The prevalence of gun violence is very American."

Yes, Central and South America for the majority.

Countries with the Highest Rates of Violent Gun Death (Homicides) per 100k residents in 2019
1. El Salvador — 36.78
2. Venezuela — 33.27
3. Guatemala — 29.06
4. Colombia — 26.36
5. Brazil — 21.93
6. Bahamas — 21.52
7. Honduras — 20.15
8. U.S. Virgin Islands — 19.40
9. Puerto Rico — 18.14
10. Mexico — 16.41
  1. Brazil — 49,436
  2. United States — 37,038
  3. Venezuela — 28,515
  4. Mexico — 22,116
  5. India — 14,710
  6. Colombia — 13,169
  7. Philippines — 9,267

@Western Slope I believe that the 10 mm ammo is getting very difficult to find as it is losing popularity.

10MM has a greater impact on the wrists than a 9MM on LEOs while practicing and that's why it lost popularity. I hurt a nerve in my wrist just from pushing snow off of the driveway last week. It's fine now. A 10MM is more effective against bear.

Simply not true. We used to carry our shotguns to school during rabbit season. Would stop and hunt a few minutes before school and until it got too dark after school. Something has changed, to be sure, but is not guns or the way they are stored.
We did exactly the same. Times have changed!
My "personal Protection" is a sawed off (barrels and stock), illegal, 12 ga double barrel with loas of 00 buckshot at the ready. Have not used it (other than routine exercise) - EVER! But I do know how and when.

I don’t think it’s fear as much as preparedness Gary. I don’t fear or anticipate that I’ll be involved in an accident when I get in a motor vehicle. But I always buckle up.
Ah! finally something that I can actually "hook into." I absolutely agree.

Do you realize, that every time you sit down in your vehicle and "buckle-up" you are saying, "I am now anticipating having an accident before I reach my destination and this seat belt here to save my life." THAT is what is really happening, even if you honestly and truly and whole heartedly, firmly believe the only reason you are buckling-up is because the law says you have to, otherwise you'll get a ticket. No.... by buckling up, you are stating you believe you will not reach your destination alive. You may never have "that" accident where the seat belt actually saved your life, but you were prepared.

So is the case with having a gun.

OK. ..... JUST suppose every single gun in the United States was successfully removed from absolutely every single person. That includes grandma to the drug lord. Everyone.

What would happen? I'll tell you. You'd have a segment of society carrying base ball bats, machetes, and chains and would still attempt to attack, rob, and kill those who they think they can overpower and take from them. Nothing would change. It would only change the way people kill each other.

I carry a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with a mixture of 000 shot and bear slugs.
I'm trained to use firearms and would have no hesitaton to use it,

Do you realize, that every time you sit down in your vehicle and "buckle-up" you are saying, "I am now anticipating having an accident before I reach my destination and this seat belt here to save my life." THAT is what is really happening, even if you honestly and truly and whole heartedly, firmly believe the only reason you are buckling-up is because the law says you have to, otherwise you'll get a ticket. No.... by buckling up, you are stating you believe you will not reach your destination alive. You may never have "that" accident where the seat belt actually saved your life, but you were prepared.
I wear a seatbelt because the stupid dinger can’t be turned off and you get a ticket if caught not wearing it.

When "seconds" count, "minutes" are too long.
Sounds like you never heard that one before.

It goes something like this . .

"When seconds count, don't worry, the cops are only minutes away."

It's really saying you have to take care of your own defense.

There are a lot of such sayings with guns.

Here in CA, where there are so many ridiculous and confusing gun laws to be used against the good guy, a common saying is "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six".

-Don- Auburn, CA

I like Gary's point.

There's a lot of money and profit that comes out of making people feel more unsafe and at higher risk than they are. That and money in creating fear of the government. It's why things like Ring cameras, personal VPN's, firearms, etc are so popular. Especially the cameras.

Let's go walk downtown Seattle sometime. At night. Without a firearm. Our biggest risk is actually being hit by a car.

I am now anticipating having an accident before I reach my destination and this seat belt here to save my life."
Yep. All safety equipment is like that.

But if used every day and you need it one time in fifty years, it could save your life.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

-Don- Auburn, CA

Such stuff is popular because such crime does happen. Has your house every been burglarized? Mine has (in S San Fran).

-Don- Auburn, CA

Just like the lottery. Someone always wins even if chances of doing so are rarer than being struck by lightning, twice. But we call the lottery a tax on the stupid. So is gun ownership, really.

People who have used them to defend themselves successfully is vanishingly rare. Often they are met with equal force. Lots of stories about how owning or carrying a gun has made someone feel safer, though.

Where we reside our population density is 2 people per square mile with a major Interstate Highway not far away. Lots of drug trafficking along this route with people doing trades on our on-ramps. Living rural I would rather be safe than dead. There's more than 3,300 square miles that our Sheriff office patrols.

87b4694db50fd8c4ed37a012d06bf57f538b5943.jpg

That's the real problem here in CA. Almost none of our gun state laws are based on common sense.

I strongly support "common sense gun laws". That means get rid of the countless CA laws that are not based on any "common sense".

-Don- Auburn, CA
"Common Sense" is the ultimate oxymoron as it is anything but common

Actually, there is a lot of common sense in the American public. The problem is that it has been preempted and hijacked by the louder looney nutball voices that agitate aggressively. And the common sense voices are too busy with their lives, jobs, and family to be bothered by the nutcases and hoping that normalcy will return at some point. The trouble is that as long as no one stands up to the loons, the loons will get louder and louder. They are children continually testing the boundries and if given and inch, will take a mile. I think '23 and especially '24 will be a turning point and the normal public will start assertively confronting the nutjobs and letting them know that their brand of non-reality lunacy will no longer be condoned. At least, that's my plan.

Do you realize, that every time you sit down in your vehicle and "buckle-up" you are saying, "I am now anticipating having an accident before I reach my destination and this seat belt here to save my life."
While that is a factor, I believe in seat belts because if something happens that threatens to move you from the seat, the belt keeps you at the wheel so that you can maintain control of the vehicle and avoid a crash. It's done that for me more than once, dating back over 60 years ago to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom