personal safety while on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ltalsa, it appears to me that you and your husband have settled your issue quite well. It's not so important what your decision was, as that it was obviously well and thoroughly reasoned. Well reasoned decisions are right, no matter which way they go.  ;)

Oh, and I think I will quit worrying about your husband's gun handling skills and training.  ::) ::) ;D

Ray D  ;D

I came up with a very cheap fake alarm system from Radio Shack. It is a little devise that holds 2 AA batteries. It has a small red light and flashes about once every 2 seconds. It has an on/off switch and does nothing else. We put it on the kitchen counter where it can be seen from behind the entrance door and from the kitchen blinds. (Class A). My theory is that a burglar would rather go to an easier vehicle rather than one with an alarm system. We just got back from a 3 week trip and we used it every night. We never had a problem with a burglar, but them again we haven't ever before either. I guess it kept the wild elephants away too. It is only $2.99 and I think well worth it.

Reminds me of McCauley Caulkin in the Home Alone movie where he creates his own home security system using the movie clips from various movies with the machine gun sequences and "you dirty rat"..

As another said, we had one issue many years ago, and a gun would have made us feel more secure, but we would certainly not have used it in that situation.  Had the situation gotten out of control, I am guessing if I had a gun I might have used it, as that was long before cell phones, so alerting the authorities was not an easy thing to do.

I do carry now, but that is really a result of having a hand gun, and having a conceal carry permit, and shooting as a hobby.  So why not just bring it along is my thought. Otherwise, I doubt we would carry a gun with us as we mostly stay at better campgrounds.

Sometimes, after reading threads such as this one, I ask myself if I could muster the will to fire the first shot?  I'm confident that, if I am able, I can return fire quickly, almost automatically, but firing the first one, LHM...NTIM.

I have a Mossburg 500 12 gauge shotgun with a pistol grip in the coach. I have it loaded so the first two shots are #7 birdshot and then 00 buckshot. The #7 is not going to seriously hurt anybody unless they are very close.  We do the Wal-Mart thing and I keep it for mental security.

Inside an RV, your range is going to be 10' or less. Any load is still going to be compacted. It'll hit more like a slug, unless the barrel is realy short.

Ray D

The Mossburg 500 pistol grip has an 18 1/2" barrel. I have tested the pattern at 10' and was shocked how big it was. I shot a paper sign about 18" by 24" and the shot was pretty evenly distributed around the sign. The pistol grip is interchangeable with a stock and I have shot skeet with it. As a stupid teenager, I was shot with bird shot at about 25' while "borrowing" watermelons in the same spot two nights in a row and it didn't break the skin, but left some very painful whelps. I think the chances of any camper ever having to use a weapon is extremely small.

This is always a personal choice.  Like others have stated, if you decide to have a firearm no matter what type, you should have training so you know how to use it without having to think about it, and be able to hit what you aim at.  Plus you have to have the mind set to take a human life.  That said, you have to be able to do this no matter if you have a firearm, edged weapon, ball bat, club, or whatever.  Bottom line are you going to defend yourself, or call 911, and hope the calvary shows up in time to protect you?  One thing to think about is that a lot of times campgrounds are in remote/semi remote areas.  How long will be the response time be for help to arrive?  After 30+ years in law enforcement (now retired) I always have a firearm near...even when at home.  When I was on the road patrol, I ALWAYS had 2 firearms, plus a knife on me while on duty.  My thinking was that if the s%$* hits the fan I can bleed a lot before my backup arrives...sometimes 30 minutes +or -.

That said, some have stated that they feel safe in campgrounds, as a rule you are, but we all know there are exceptions to the rule.  Read this ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38609783/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts ) & you'll see what I'm talking about...IT DOES HAPPEN, and can happen to any of us at any time, at any place.  We don't live in a perfect world, and in case you are living too far under that rock, it's getting worse everyday!  Don't beleive me...just ask the people who were in the Luby's Cafeteria in Texas a few years ago.  OK, I'm stepping off the soap box now.

?Understand one thing, Mr. Chantry.  You can make laws against weapons but they will be observed only by those who don?t intend to use them anyway.  The lawless can always smuggle or steal, or even make a gun.  By refusing to wear a gun you allow the criminal to operate with impunity.  We have the law, but even the law cannot be in your bedroom at night.?

From the book North To The Trails by Louis L?Amour

We have stayed at hundreds of campgrounds and many nights at Wal-Mart or it's equivalents. We tend to stay at the cheaper campgrounds, but have never had a problem. I have felt a little uneasy a few times. We have experienced some loud rowdy behavior while concrete boondocking. We once moved as we noticed what we thought was a truck camper doing drug deals at Wal-Mart parking lot. We always have the option or just driving away.

Olcoon said:
That said, some have stated that they feel safe in campgrounds, as a rule you are, but we all know there are exceptions to the rule.  Read this ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38609783/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts ) & you'll see what I'm talking about...IT DOES HAPPEN, and can happen to any of us at any time, at any place.  We don't live in a perfect world, and in case you are living too far under that rock, it's getting worse everyday!  Don't beleive me...just ask the people who were in the Luby's Cafeteria in Texas a few years ago.  OK, I'm stepping off the soap box now.

?Understand one thing, Mr. Chantry.  You can make laws against weapons but they will be observed only by those who don?t intend to use them anyway.  The lawless can always smuggle or steal, or even make a gun.  By refusing to wear a gun you allow the criminal to operate with impunity.  We have the law, but even the law cannot be in your bedroom at night.?

From the book North To The Trails by Louis L?Amour

In your 30 years of law enforcement, did you advise citizens to arm themselves as you're doing here?

Barb. I believe Olcoon's MSN link explains where people go. We go about life. I would think that the deceased had no clue that day how it would end. I have had a few encounters. The first was at an ATM. I was carrying, but fortunately I was a able to flee instead of taking the life of two citizens from south of the border.  The second time was when my wife and I were driving in a decent part of town after dark and followed by a car with what I believe had 4 gangbangers that decided they would run us off the road. Laying my .40 Glock on the dashboard changed there mind. The most recent event occurred in the Northern mountains of New Mexico. My sweet wife and I were 4 wheeling in our jeep on an old forest service road when we came across small group of what might have been illegals. Being drunk they decided to impede our progress by standing in the road. Brandishing the 40 cal, I  accelerating at them ending the situation as they dove for cover. I never fired on any occasion, but I wouldn't have hesitated if I felt it was needed. I repeat what I said in an earlier post, I will not be a victim.

None of these happened in a campground, but happened on camping trips over a 30 year period. 

Barb said:
I'd like to know where you people go, where you think it's so unsafe.

I'd like to know where to go that is "safe"...  the list of "unsafe" places is so long there's not enough time left in my life to list them... according to the stats, being home is one of the places that lots of people get hurt...and it kinda goes downhill from there.

taoshum said:
I'd like to know where to go that is "safe"...  the list of "unsafe" places is so long there's not enough time left in my life to list them... according to the stats, being home is one of the places that lots of people get hurt...and it kinda goes downhill from there.

It is not like there is a magical force field around the "good" parts of town that keeps bad people away.

I was accosted while driving semi right outside of the Superdome in New Orleans in broad daylight while turning through a traffic light.  The man jumped up on the steps of the truck and reached inside the open window and proceeded to try to steer me into a building.  Had I not leveled the .45 acp at the individuals forehead, I expect that I would not be sitting here typing this.  He decided that there were easier pickings out there.  I would have dropped him had it come to that, but fortunately, the largish hole staring him between the eyes was enough of a deterrent to change his worldview.

During camping trips while off-roading (in known campgrounds) we've had issues with locals looking to continue their supply of whatever they were on.  This was particularly in Harlan County, KY, but we've also seen it at other places.  Anything not bolted down is often fair game and at other times, we've been deep in the woods when approached by unsavory types.  They always want to find out about our women...  Not on my watch.  8)  Granted, we get around more than the typical RV user, but as has been said above, there is no magic line that a criminal dare not cross.  While driving a regular vehicle in Louisville (on the GOOD side of town, St. Matthews), we have been accosted and had a window on our car punched in.  Had we not been able to defend ourselves it could have been bad.  The local LEO commended us for having protection.  He indicated that it saved our lives that night.  There is no good side of town, just opportunity, and sometimes the bad guys (and girls) know that it is easy pickings at a place where no one expects them.  Everyone knows about the dark/bad side of town or "redneck" campgrounds in God knows where, but there isn't often anything of value to possess there, so they hunt opportunity.

Wow! Ive been reading this post for a couple of days now and have seen a lot of good advice and scary situations.  Glad it didnt get to out of hand as all of our opions and upbring's differ.  I grew up as a Marine Corps brat and am an USAF vet. Avid hunter/fisherman all my life as our my kids and GF. We've been around guns and owned them all our lives and therefore "carry".  The campgrounds we've been to dont seem to be a problem as our encounters thus far have all been pleasant.  It's the getting from point A to point B aspect of it that keeps us on our toes.  West Texas in the middle of the night with a flat and outta cell range kinda sucks. I believe we'd probally be attacked by a bear or mountain lion before anything else, but am still not willing to take that chance with my family with me.  To each his/her own I say, but training and practice is a must if you carry. Also glad that the OP gave us alittle more info on her DH and there possible resolution to there delima.

Re firearms & RV's:

This subject has been so distorted over the years by "Anti-gun" individuals including much of the political discussions that it is dificult to get the truth out.

I am lifetime cattle rancher (two ranches) plus I have been a 41 year career LEO (Sheriff and Chief of Police).

First, each state seems to have various gun laws. I suggest that anyone considering possesion of a gun while traveling should get a copy of the State's Gun Laws, available from the National Rifle Association.

Second, Do not believe much of the "propaganda" commonly read and heard about gun possesion. Law abiding citizens possess a gun for the same reason that we buy and have insurance against any other hazzard. As has been stated above, it is better to have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it. Remember that Gun Owners use their weapon in the United States over 1 million times each year to prevent a deadly crime (Reference Research by Prof John Lott, University of Chicago, and the Annual Uniform Crime Reports published by the U.S. Department of Justice.)

Third, be sure to understand the laws, receive training, have a mind set about self defense if you intend to have a gun with you. Use common sense the same as you would if you were to have a chain saw, power drill, power lawn mower, fire extinguisher, an RV or any other device or tool.

Fourth, if you do not want a tool for an emergency defense, then do not have one. It is your choice.

Fifth, it is false to assume that anyplace, RV Parks, home, public or private areas, is safe just because it should be. Remember that states, counties and cities that permit, and even encourage gun ownership, have the lowest violent crime rates. The areas with the highest crime rates in the U.S. are those areas with the most restrictive gun laws. (Verify this from the Annual Uniform Crime Reports cited above.)

Sixth, remember that most often just the possession and ability to use a gun to prevent a crime is often all that is needed, without firing a shot. Remember, a gun in the hand when seconds count is more effective than a 911 phone call to get the police in 5 or 10 minutes.

Always an interesting discussion, but I'm hearing two things that somewhat surprise me:

1) Mone than one lifelong LEO on this thread has come out in favor of citizens arming themselves.  Yes they make it clear that training is required but I grew up with two very close uncles who were San Francisco Police Officers and their strong position was that a citizen was much more likely to be shot with their own gun (or have a family member accidently shot) than they were to fend off a criminal. 

2) I'm also surprised at how frequently people on this thread have told of pulling their guns to "scare" people... I think in every case mentioned there was no evidence that the people they were trying to scare were armed.  The gun owners just felt threatened so found themselves justified to pull their weapons.  This too is counter to what I believe was sound self defense training.  In one case the poster described a scene where he and DW were in the desert four wheeling and some guys he said were drunk stood in the road to block their path.  He said he "brandished" his hand gun and accelerated his car AT them at high speed to get by.  With a 4x4 I had to wonder if maybe he could have gone around.  I had to think that, in his zeal to avoid becoming a victim, he had come dangerously close to becoming a perpetrator.

Before anyone characterizes me as an anti-gun San Francisco liberal, I'm not.  I carry, but these are just two observations that seemed inconsistent with my understanding of how things were. ;)

Barb said:
I'd like to know where you people go, where you think it's so unsafe.

I live in a nice safe neighborhood and I have a handgun at home as do many millions of others. 

If I have a handgun at my stick home why wouldn't I keep a gun in my rolling home?  The only difference is I take a shotgun on the road as there are significantly less restrictions on long guns as opposed to hand guns in many states.

Back
Top Bottom