Planning a cross-country trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joana

Happy New Year to all!!! My husband and I are planning to travel from Columbia SC to Los Angeles CA in February and March with our Class C RV, 2 dogs (pet friendly), and computers (WIFI). I found there are 3 possibilities for our route - start on I20 then drop South to get on I10 in Louisiana; start on I20 to get on I10 in the El Paso area; start on I20 and go North to I40. We're looking for any suggestions on RV parks/campgrounds you can offer to get us started. We'll be looking for nearby hiking trails as we are "COVID 19" aware thus are not interested in tourist attractions this year. Any thoughts?

I would suggest I-20 to I-10 in west Texas, then on across given your dates.  I-20 overall is a better option with fewer major cities (I-20 skirts the south side of Dallas, vs I-10 going through the center of Houston).  I-40 is at a might higher elevation through New Mexico and Arizona so has a much higher chance of snow in this date range.

What sort of time frame do you have for exploring along the way, are you only interested in stops along the highway, or would you be looking for interesting stops 50-100 miles off the route?

Hi Joana,

I took I10 through Louisiana a couple of years back and unless they have improved the road it is a bad bumpy ride that will shake you apart. Take I20 further west and drop down to I10 (they merge so you don't have to take a road south unless you want. Much better way and not doubt warmer as you travel. Happy trails!

and computers (WIFI).
I wouldn't depend much on WiFi in an RV campground, since they are usually overloaded if there's anyone at all in the park, and often reception is only on a handful of sites. You're usually better off with a tethered phone or such, but you might luck out on occasion with the park WiFi.

I use RVTripWizard to plan long trips (I think there are other free apps that do similar things).  It helps me select select camp grounds and also my driving duration for any particular day (we try to limit our daily drive time to 5 hours or less).  I hope it helps. 

All of your comments are very helpful. Thank you! With this new information, we decided we'll take the I-20 to I-10 near El Paso route hoping find available grocery stores and gas stations along the way.

We own a campground in western New York state (Misty Mountains Park) that is 1/4 mile from I-86 with the Village of Cuba less than a 1/2 mile away. There are many interesting places within a 50 mile drive of the campground, and that is what we're hoping to find along this route. We're OK with driving 50 to 75 miles from the campground (we do tow a car) for a 2 to 3 hour easy-to-moderate hike with our dogs or to enjoy local parks. We do like to visit college towns, too, where we have been able to easily find these activities.

Thanks for the tip regarding RVTripWizard which I'll look into. In the meantime, any suggestions on campgrounds will be welcomed. :)

Joana said:
All of your comments are very helpful. Thank you! With this new information, we decided we'll take the I-20 to I-10 near El Paso route hoping find available grocery stores and gas stations along the way.

As long as you're in that area if you're not in too much of a hurry, and if it's even open with Covid, check out Carlsbad Caverns.  I remember there's a hotel at the bottom of the road up there, and I think I recall an RV campground--neither would be particularly nice, but it's location.  It allows you to head up there first thing in the morning so that you get in early before it gets too crowded.  I think I managed the second elevator down.  It also allows you to go back at night to see the bats leave the caverns--it's pretty amazing.

BTW, to say El Paso is sort of a pit would be an insult to pits.  Maybe it's changed, I was there maybe 15 years ago, but it was disgusting to even drive through. But now at least you'll have hand sanitizer with you as you drive through!  :-*

Finally I believe Texas still allows 80 mph on their Interstates.  Not sure if you'd consider that an advantage or a disadvantage in a Class C.  I'd consider it a disadvantage with my trailer.

Fuel will not be a problem anywhere along I-20 or I-10, though you will not want to get too low on fuel as it may be 40-50 miles between gas stations in some places with one fairly long gap of nothingness between San Antonio and Van Horn, TX.  Speaking of El Paso, whatever you do, do not spend a night at Stary Skies RV park in Vado, NM just west of El Paso, the place is a literal junk yard (as in vehicles missing their engines sitting around), plus Vado has a large cattle lot, and even though I grew up on a cattle ranch, I found the smell a bit strong there.  Grocery selection may be a bit more sparse, but any town big enough to show up on the map will at least have a small grocery store, though you may think you are back in the 1950's if you go in them.

As to hiking, social distance sight seeing, etc. there are few good options along the I-12 / I-10 route, a few I might suggest are, Vicksburg Battlefield in Vicksburg MS, most of it is self guided drive through audio tour, though since this is only small RV friendly, you will want to use your TOAD car.  Expect 1 to 3 hours to do the tour depending on how many stops you make, or a month if you stop and look at each of the thousands of stone markers.  There is probably room in the visitor center parking lot to unhook the TOAD and do the drive through. 

If you want to take break for a couple of days mid way, consider a side trip down to Fort Davis about 75 miles off your route, though if you need to be in contact with the world stay at one of the in town RV parks if you want cell signal, you have a few outdoor social distancing allowed options here, tour the old frontier fort, with some restored buildings, (big parade ground in the middle, so lots of spacing, and few tourist so even if you go in the indoor restored barracks, houses, etc. there is a good chance you will have the building to yourself.    Also there are several miles of hiking trails at the fairly new Desert nature center http://www.cdri.org/ located just a couple of miles south of Fort Davis, as well as nearby Davis Mountain State park (no cell service).  There are gas stations in Fort Davis, though they are not particularly RV friendly, there is even a Dollar store there, and a small family owned grocery store.  There are also larger stores including I think a Wal-Mart in  Alpine about 35 miles away.  Going west from here I can't suggest much along I-10 though others may know of options in southern AZ, etc.    If possible I would suggest trying to make the drive from the Fort Davis area to somewhere west of Las Cruces in 1 day as I have yet to find a good RV park option along that stretch of road. 

Also be aware you will run into a mandatory Border Zone inspection station  west of El Paso when going west, or just outside Van Horn when going east.  Typically in my experience it is pull up to the window where the agent will ask a few basic questions, what is your residency, where are you heading, how many people on board, etc. they may also have drug dogs doing a walk around.  The last time I was there I think it was a total of one question, I stopped the agent asked where I was heading, I said trying to get home to Louisiana ahead of the early season arctic blast, and he sent me on my way.

In the meantime, any suggestions on campgrounds will be welcomed.
Check out Allstays, too: https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/

but any town big enough to show up on the map will at least have a small grocery store, though you may think you are back in the 1950's if you go in them.
That might not be all bad...  ::) ;D ;D

If time is not a big factor, you can bypass Phoenix and the very dense I-10 traffic by taking I-8.  The alternative route is I-10 to I-8 just East of Casa Grande ... Continue on I-8 to Gila Bend then take US Hwy 85 North back to I-10 just West of Buckeye.  Additionally, you?ll be driving by the Sonoran Desert National Monument (hundreds of Saguaro cactus) and lots of BLM land with boondocking opportunities.

You all have been really helpful (notice I didn't say y'all because I'm not originally from South Carolina). I will check out the trip wizard tool and the allstays website. I certainly have more to work with today than I did 24 hours ago. Thanks and Happy New Year!!

When are you coming back?

My wife and I did I40 a few years back and traced the Route 66 trail.  It was an awesome trip. However we went in late March and even then we got some snowfall in Flagstaff. I bit cold in Feb to do R-66.

But if you are coming back in late March or April I strongly recommend R-66 - It was awesome.

camperAL said:
Hi Joana,

I took I10 through Louisiana a couple of years back and unless they have improved the road it is a bad bumpy ride that will shake you apart. Take I20 further west and drop down to I10 (they merge so you don't have to take a road south unless you want. Much better way and not doubt warmer as you travel. Happy trails!

Might have changed since. We took I 10 from TX to FL last year and for the most part the road was fine. Few short rough patches, but otherwise a good ride.

Joana said:
You all have been really helpful (notice I didn't say y'all because I'm not originally from South Carolina). I will check out the trip wizard tool and the allstays website. I certainly have more to work with today than I did 24 hours ago. Thanks and Happy New Year!!
Be sure to check out:
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
https://www.campendium.com/

And if you are prepared to dry camp or boondock then this is good option:  https://www.campendium.com/

Be aware that a lot of the popular National Parks, State Parks, etc along I-10 and all of the south are pretty busy to very, very busy this winter.  For example  all of the campgrounds inside Big Bend National Park are completely reserved until mid April when they become first come first served.

Plan on making reservations today if possible.  Or look for non-reservable places, but plan on arriving on Monday-Thursday morning to mid day to find campsites.

Back
Top Bottom