Please Help With What I Can Safely Tow? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never towed that long.  I have heard, that those longer TT can have issues with gusty winds, but you do have a capable truck.  Personally, I would be okay driving that set-up, and I have a little 21' TT right now.  Pack it decent, correct tongue weight, good WDH, slow down in windy conditions, and I think you would be fine.  Only you know your confidence level, it's not going to be a big deal most of the time, but that said, it is a long set-up and takes a driver that is aware of their surroundings.  Some are, some aren't.  If you are a fairly confident driver, I think you'll be fine after a few days under your belt.  Hopefully some others with experience chime in 

Thanks all - The last thing I want to do is be one of those "front end in the air and vehicle struggling" heading down the road so I appreciate the guidance.  I saw one today in fact.  Looked like a 1500 series and an old fiver.  I was able to understand why what he did was wrong based on this thread.  Again, thanks.

I think I will ease into it with a shorter bumper pull with weight distribution hitch.  Cross winds make me a little nervous if we head out west.
Good grief man. You've let some people scare you with this frontal non sense.
The 6.7 diesel in your F250 is the same engine/tranny as a F350 DRW.  Either truck  will not struggle or have any issues pulling that size 5th wheel trailer in the mountains or in the flatlands with strong head winds.
    Now if your F250 has the 6.2 small block gas engine with its much lower HP/torque numbers then frontal area equation can be a big player high head wind areas.

The problem you or anyone will get into with a F250 is exceeding Fords 6340 RAWR with a 15k 5th wheel trailer. Your trucks rear axle may weigh in the 3000-3100 lb range which leaves around 3100-3200 lbs for a in the bed payload.
Actual weights come from scaled front and rear axle weights. Anyone with a truck carrying a load should know the trucks axle weight numbers. That way there is no guessing if you have overloaded a tire...wheel....rear spring pack.
  If your F250 has the camper package or heavy service pack then it has the same front and rear suspension as the F350 RAWR...if all the cab/drive/wheelbase selections are the same.

I would rather a heavy 5th wheel trailer than a  long heavy TT  especially out here where we have strong winds.

longhaul said:
Good grief man. You've let some people scare you with this frontal non sense.
The 6.7 diesel in your F250 is the same engine/tranny as a F350 DRW.  Either truck  will not struggle or have any issues pulling that size 5th wheel trailer in the mountains or in the flatlands with strong head winds.
    Now if your F250 has the 6.2 small block gas engine with its much lower HP/torque numbers then frontal area equation can be a big player high head wind areas.

The problem you or anyone will get into with a F250 is exceeding Fords 6340 RAWR with a 15k 5th wheel trailer. Your trucks rear axle may weigh in the 3000-3100 lb range which leaves around 3100-3200 lbs for a in the bed payload.
Actual weights come from scaled front and rear axle weights. Anyone with a truck carrying a load should know the trucks axle weight numbers. That way there is no guessing if you have overloaded a tire...wheel....rear spring pack.
  If your F250 has the camper package or heavy service pack then it has the same front and rear suspension as the F350 RAWR...if all the cab/drive/wheelbase selections are the same.

I would rather a heavy 5th wheel trailer than a  long heavy TT  especially out here where we have strong winds.

Well there are a lot of opinions here which I appreciate.  The F250 is diesel and does have the factory installed tow package with the snow prep package which I believe gives it a higher and more capable front end.  It does only have 2600 pounds of ccc. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom