Pleated shades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustywrench

This isnt the first time it has happened to us. When it happened in our old Class C, we just put in cheap venetian blinds. The pleated shades in our 5th wheel have started having problems. Won't stay up and hang lopsided. I assume one of the cords broke. Does anyone have any DIY advise to repair these things? Thanks in advance.

Never replaced a cord but had them stretch had to pull them tighter and tie new knots real pain in the butt.

This isnt the first time it has happened to us. When it happened in our old Class C, we just put in cheap venetian blinds. The pleated shades in our 5th wheel have started having problems. Won't stay up and hang lopsided. I assume one of the cords broke. Does anyone have any DIY advise to repair these things? Thanks in advance.
United Shade offers complete kits for restringing pleated shades that come with good instructions. I've restrung a number of shades for myself and others using their kits.

White cord:

Beige cord:

Our day nights were in bad shape. We've done a restring on one and that was a total pain in the backside. So we picked up some cheap black out drapes from Target, the wife cut them to size and sewed a hem. Work fine and dirt cheap compared to new day nights or anything comparable. But I must admit, I do miss the ability to see through the blinds during the day.

To get them to stop falling, you need to put more tension on the strings. The way mine worked was I had to loosen the screw that holds the round bobbin to the wall. then rotated it so it puts more tension in the strings. Then tightened the bobbin screw.

I've done dozens of restrings. Easy peasy if you have a good flat work area and a little patience. The hard part is getting them uninstalled and then reinstalled. The Dirty Blind Man sells kits and has great videos and instructions.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look into tightening them up before we try re-stringing them.

Just tugging on each string will tell you if it's broken or just loose. Loose strings will only have a few inches of play at the most. Broken strings will keep pulling out.

Our fifth wheel in the UK has pleated blinds and we have restrung them several times over the years. Most of the wear was due to incorrect location of the tension bobbins. Once I relocated them the stringing lasts much longer.
We buy the cord on a roll from haberdashery shops. As said in a previous reply, the hardest part is getting them down and back up.

The clear plastic bobbin is the key to tension. On my Bigfoot trailer they ran the string the wrong way thru the hole in the bobbin (it should be run from the middle to the outside) and having some of the bobbins cracked, I replaced those and routed the string correctly so it can wind around the bobbin. Note that the ones that have two mounting screws in the base have castellations and the screw in the middle has to be loosened enough for the notches to skip over each other.

Replacement bobbins can be found at RV, Auto & Marine Parts and Accessories who have all kinds of small parts for repairing and restoring your RV.

Charles

While we're on the subject, what's the secret to uninstalling the valence on these blinds? I haven't been able to figure it out. Want to replace the blinds, but need to get that off first. ThanksBlinds.jpg

On mine, I had to look up inside just behind the balance. There are angle brackets holding it to the wall. With a Phillips screw driver, I was able to reach all the screws.

A 2 string blind is easier than 4 strings. The problem we ran into with 4 strings was reinstalling the middle and bottom metal rails. We used a restring kit. The pleated material was difficult to slide back in the grooves; the cords were almost impossible to draw tight afterwards. If someone knows of a better way than those you tube videos, please tell us. String kits are cheaper than new shades especially when the existing pleated d shade still ha a long life left with new string.

Last edited:
I solved my problem with having to restring blinds with buying some custom-made dual MCD roller shades. These are expensive, but my only regret is not buying them when I first bought my motorhome. One roller is for complete privacy and the other is see-through mesh for daytime.

Best thing I did for my motorhome and I have absolutely no problems with them over the past 7 years since I got them. Cost was about $200 per window with another $100 for installation.

I solved my problem with having to restring blinds with buying some custom-made dual MCD roller shades. These are expensive, but my only regret is not buying them when I first bought my motorhome. One roller is for complete privacy and the other is see-through mesh for daytime.

Best thing I did for my motorhome and I have absolutely no problems with them over the past 7 years since I got them. Cost was about $200 per window with another $100 for installation.
My Winnebago View had pleated string shades without any valances. Strings started breaking and I wanted something better.

I went with "self valanced" shades which were made by United Shade (since acquired by MCD) They required a lot of measuring and picking of materials but came out looking pretty good. indeed, they were rather expensive, but more desirable than the pleated shades. My current shades in the trailer are the pleated day/night shades but the walls are not vertical so roller shades won't work, they need the strings to hold them in place.

Impulse "All-In-One" Roller Shades

NewImpulse.png

I am in the process of replacing the single screw bobbins with double screw cleats because the screws on my new TT keep pulling out

Back
Top Bottom