plugged in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

Should I keep the 5er plugged in for the couple months of storage, or remove the battery and put it on trickle charge? I noticed while plugged in the converter is powered and running and also the transfer switch is energized and humming. Is this unneccessary running harmful to either of these? Does the battery have to be installed to run the 12 volt items such as slide out, landing gear, etc, or will the converter run them? I am leaning toward leaving it plugged in, because I will need the battery to start and excercise the generator.

If the charger is a 3 stage charger and doesn't overcharge the battery, I would leave it plugged in, but check it often.  Especially check the batteries to insure they aren't getting overcharged.  It won't hurt to have the converter and transfer switch powered.  Some items will run off the converter without a battery normally, but it's better to have the battery in the circuit.

As I recall, you have a late model RV so the converter/charger probably has a decent float charge stage and won't "boil" the batteries. Check the water in the batteries regularly, every few weeks, until you have established the rate at which water is depleted. Don't let the water level get down to the top of the internal lead plates. Refill with distilled water as needed.

Yes it is brand new, 2007. How do I tell if this charger has a float stage or not? It came with one battery installed, down the road I will probably go to two, if so, will the same charger support multiple batteries? I did not find any literature on the converter or xfer switch when I went through all my owners papers. Maybe I will try and get makes and model #s to find info. It really would not be a big deal to remove it and put it in my shop on a trickle charger to maintain it, and install once a month when exercising the genset, or is that not a good practice?

A make and model number would let us identify it, but odds are it is NOT a three-stage unit in a trailer such as yours. Few manufacturers install the higher end charger models. However, most (if not all) newer chargers are basically two stage, shifting from a relatively high charge rate (bulk charge) to float charging when the battery nears its proper voltage. They aren't like the old chargers that just kept pumping in the electrons at a fixed rate.

If you have a converter/charger by Progressive Dynamic or Iota, it is a good one, even if only two stage. Either of those brands may also be a three stage or be easily upgradeable to  three-stage with an inexpensive, plug-in module called a Smart Charger.

You have to check the water whether the battery is in the trailer or in your shop.

I'll have to check that out, also there is a battery disconnect switch installed by the control panel, will this disconnect it from the charger?

I thought the plug in module was called a "Charge Wizard" (at least by Progressive Dynamics)  And in my studies of chargers, it don't get any better than the two that Romer mentioned when the Charge Wizard is installed.  May be others as good, but none better.

As to the question will the disconnect also disconnect the charger..... The answer is "your millage may vary"

On my rig, yes, it does, which can be a problem.  On some rigs, it does not, all depends on how they wired it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom