Plywood vs OSB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello all, I am new to this forum and new to the travel trailer world as I am in the process of buying one soon and I know nothing.... after hitting a couple of RV shows earlier this year, the main one being Tampa..The 2 Travel trailers I liked the most were the Jayco Jay Feather 19MRK and the 17MKE from Grand Design.. I like that the Jayco has the 2/3 warranty vs GD has 1/3.. and Jayco uses double sided Azdel in their side walls vs no azdel in the GD.. The sidewalls in the Jayco are Vacuum bonded vs pinched rolled on the GD.

The Jayco rep said that GD makes a great product but he feels Jayco is much better quality because of the warranty, the walls are vacuum bonded and they only use plywood vs GD uses OSB.. This will be my first travel trailer ever and I don't know much so those of you who own one already, is there any truth to what he has stated? Please advise.

I can't think of any reason using plywood over OSB is an advantage. OSB will however hold up better to moisture. Jayco rep btw., is another term for salesman, need we say more?

OSB is less strong per unsupported span length than plywood, it's heavier, and cheaper. It does *not* tolerate moisture well. Depending on the application it may not matter so I wouldn't consider the use of OSB to be a red flag but it is a "value" choice. If I saw OSB used as a panel on an interior feature I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. As a floor underlayment it would be a non starter for me, because it's inevitable a floor will get wet and OSB will turn to mush.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I wouldn't worry too much, both those are decent trailer brands, and quality will depend on the day of week and assemblers mood. I would spend more time looking over assembly quality of the particular unit you select. Personally, I would lean towards a gently used unit, the hope is any small snags are already worked out. Warranty work is important to many, but actuality, the Dealer turn around time on warranty work can be very frustrating, and for minimal items, it will ideal if one is a slight bit handy, as TT are ongoing maintenance items from day one. Good luck with your choice.

The Jayco rep said that
For a good comparison, now go to the GD rep and ask him which unit is best and why? Salespeople always say that what they sell is best and even better if you move up to a higher priced model that they sell! The following information comes from U Mass. engineering school.
Plywood actually gets saturated much faster than osb, but it is not prone to edge swelling and it dries out much more quickly. On the plus side, osb is a more consistent product. It is truly an engineered material. You never have a soft spot in the panel because 2 knot holes overlap.

OSB is less strong per unsupported span length than plywood, it's heavier, and cheaper. It does *not* tolerate moisture well. Depending on the application it may not matter so I wouldn't consider the use of OSB to be a red flag but it is a "value" choice. If I saw OSB used as a panel on an interior feature I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. As a floor underlayment it would be a non starter for me, because it's inevitable a floor will get wet and OSB will turn to mush.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I believe the Jayco uses plywood subfloors.. I know the rockwoods do.. but I believe GD uses OSB in their subfloors.
I appreciate the feedback and btw, are you on the other forums?

I wouldn't worry too much, both those are decent trailer brands, and quality will depend on the day of week and assemblers mood. I would spend more time looking over assembly quality of the particular unit you select. Personally, I would lean towards a gently used unit, the hope is any small snags are already worked out. Warranty work is important to many, but actuality, the Dealer turn around time on warranty work can be very frustrating, and for minimal items, it will ideal if one is a slight bit handy, as TT are ongoing maintenance items from day one. Good luck with your choice.
I appreciate it.. I understand the theory behind used/gently used but those are even high in price..

For a good comparison, now go to the GD rep and ask him which unit is best and why? Salespeople always say that what they sell is best and even better if you move up to a higher priced model that they sell! The following information comes from U Mass. engineering school.
Plywood actually gets saturated much faster than osb, but it is not prone to edge swelling and it dries out much more quickly. On the plus side, osb is a more consistent product. It is truly an engineered material. You never have a soft spot in the panel because 2 knot holes overlap.

You're right about the rep... And I forgot to state what the GD rep said.. he said we are better because we use mylar tape ya ya ya.... You'll have to forgive me for forgetting to add this, it was way late in the evening and wanted to sleep late today..

If you were to choose which would you roll with?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
You're conflating OSB with Particle Board ( which in attempt to put lipstick on a pig the industry renamed "Novadeck"). OSB tolerates moisture exponentially better than plywood. OSB is the abbreviation for Oriented Strand Board, sometimes called "Waferboard", it's not in anyway similar to particleboard or medium density fiber board. It's commonly now used as roof decking, sidewall sheathing, and underlayment on floors.

I was considering Grand Designs but changed my mind when I saw a video where one of their trailers dragged it's rear end maneuvering in a campground and the whole rear wall came loose - there was nothing but a few screws holding it to the rest of the trailer. I like Northwood products (Arctic Fox, Outdoors RV, etc.) My first experience with them was back in 2000 when I bought an Arctic Fox trailer from a junkyard that survived with only superficial damage after flipping onto it's side. It served me well for 10 years and their overall construction is still a cut above other manufacturers.

Northwood | Absolute Northwood

Definitely not confusing the materials. I used OSB on a recent built in desk project a few weeks ago, which also incorporated plywood, dimensional lumber, and a laminated particle board work surface. Maybe there's a brand/type OSB that can tolerate moisture better than others (e.g. marine plywood vs interior grade) but the "generic" $15 a sheet OSB from the box stores swells and crumbles readily when exposed to the elements. That's not to say the grades of plywood used in RV construction are absolutely better but I would put my money on basic plywood vs basic OSB.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Glad you are doing your homework. Care to share about tow vehicle and potential trailer? We se many who are misled on what their truck can pull and get upside down with $$

Debating moisture resistance of OSB vs plywood seems futile to me. Both are vulnerable but in different ways, and neither is a very good choice for wet areas. Also, you would need to distinguish the grade of the product you are discussing. Better quality OSB has a coated side that helps resist moisture, but the edges and backside are still vulnerable. Similarly, exterior and marine plywood is less vulnerable to moisture than interior grades.

I was considering Grand Designs but changed my mind when I saw a video where one of their trailers dragged it's rear end maneuvering in a campground and the whole rear wall came loose - there was nothing but a few screws holding it to the rest of the trailer. I like Northwood products (Arctic Fox, Outdoors RV, etc.) My first experience with them was back in 2000 when I bought an Arctic Fox trailer from a junkyard that survived with only superficial damage after flipping onto it's side. It served me well for 10 years and their overall construction is still a cut above other manufacturers.

Northwood | Absolute Northwood
Man.. the Nash 18FM or the 23D, Id take either one of those.. but I live in the Southeast so they don't sell those close to me.

Glad you are doing your homework. Care to share about tow vehicle and potential trailer? We se many who are misled on what their truck can pull and get upside down with $$

I currently own a 2022 Silverado LT, 20 inch wheels, 8 speed AT paired with a 2.7 liter High Output turbo 4 beater... Max towing weight is 9500 pounds and it does have a factory installed trailer brake controller..

I'm also thinking about trading it for a F150 3.5 ecoboost twin turbo... Pro assist hitch and pro assist trailer.. and they come standared with a 36 gallon gas tank.

Man.. the Nash 18FM or the 23D, Id take either one of those.. but I live in the Southeast so they don't sell those close to me.
Go to the Northwood website and click on "dealer locator" on the top bar. There are a few dealers in the southeast and it may be worth the trip.

Debating moisture resistance of OSB vs plywood seems futile to me. Both are vulnerable but in different ways, and neither is a very good choice for wet areas. Also, you would need to distinguish the grade of the product you are discussing. Better quality OSB has a coated side that helps resist moisture, but the edges and backside are still vulnerable. Similarly, exterior and marine plywood is less vulnerable to moisture than interior grades.
It would seem futile but Ive seen OSB subfloor decking on pier and beam completely submerged in Florida and dry out perfectly fine while the house next to it with plywood subfloors, delaminated and needed complete tearing out.. OSB is superior to plywood in resistance to water/ moisture, hands down. No RV manufacturer is going to use marine grades in construction so that's a red herring. And as far as a $15.00 sheet of OSB, someone hasn't been to Home Depot in the last 20 years.

Last edited:
It would seem futile if you don't know what you're talking about and there are no "different" ways, Ive seen OSB subfloor decking on pier and beam completely submerged in Florida and dry out perfectly fine while the house next to it with plywood subfloors, delaminated and needed complete tearing out.. OSB is superior to plywood in resistance to water/ moisture, hands down. No RV manufacturer is going to use marine grades in construction so that's a red herring. And as far as a $15.00 sheet of OSB, someone hasn't been to Home Depot in the last 20 years.
Actually I found one that does.. The No Boundaries from Forest River.. The roof decking is heavy duty marine grade...

I currently own a 2022 Silverado LT, 20 inch wheels, 8 speed AT paired with a 2.7 liter High Output turbo 4 beater... Max towing weight is 9500 pounds and it does have a factory installed trailer brake controller..

I'm also thinking about trading it for a F150 3.5 ecoboost twin turbo... Pro assist hitch and pro assist trailer.. and they come standared with a 36 gallon gas tank
Good luck, I might remind you (maybe a new thread if you choose) There is a lot of marketing brochure fluff, Do not any any circumstances think your 2022 GM will pull anything near 9500#, unless it is a wagon on flat land. You need to understand payload, and what you can put 'on' your truck after it is finished on the assembly line with whatever options said truck comes with (it will be listed in the drivers door jam). My special order F150 maxtow ecoboost, I wouldn't put more than a 25' TT, 28' bumper to tongue, or over 8k absolute max weight. Others do more but I like to boogie 65-70 mph down the hwy in a fairly safe environment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom