Possible aurora this weekend.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm at Giant City SP about 15 miles south of Carbondale Illinois tonight. We got a good view despite the stupid bright lights the campground has installed. The campground is full as it is graduation weekend at SIU and lots of folks came to watch their kids, grandkids, etc graduate.

We tried what we read in some of the internet news articles and used the phone cameras to view with. Even when you could barely see anything, the camera picked up a lot more.

I'll post up a couple of pics in a moment.

Charles

Attachments

• 20240510_211029.jpg
    20240510_211029.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240510_210802.jpg
    20240510_210802.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 3
Usually only visible to the North in Scotland tonight you could see it South. Very unusual and of course I'm in Boulder City which was surrounded by cloud earlier and probably bit too far south so won't see it. Might contine over the weekend.

Cameras pick up much more of the colour than your eyes unless it's exceptionally strong.

I'm about 30 miles South of Knoxville, TN and got a few pics last night with my Pixel 7 phone set to night mode. It was barely visible to the naked eye, but the phone's camera picked it up.....and we are kind of down in a "low spot", so I'm sure there were better views elsewhere, even in the surrounding areas...

Attachments

• PXL_20240511_031746922.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240511_031746922.NIGHT.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1
Last night was pretty amazing out here. I had to walk about half a mile out from Town the get away from the Street light, and nearly got clipped by a car whose driver was watching the Sky instead of the road, but I can still dodge pretty good.
No pics. I was too busy looking.

Went out about 9:30 CST tonight, nothing. I just took a shower in the shower house and still nothing. Case of bad timing from when the CME's happen releasing the energy and the time of day or night it is when it reaches Earth.

I got some good pics Friday night and If I don't see any more, I'll just consider this a once in a lifetime thing.

Charles

I'm at Giant City SP about 15 miles south of Carbondale Illinois tonight. We got a good view despite the stupid bright lights the campground has installed. The campground is full as it is graduation weekend at SIU and lots of folks came to watch their kids, grandkids, etc graduate.

We tried what we read in some of the internet news articles and used the phone cameras to view with. Even when you could barely see anything, the camera picked up a lot more.

I'll post up a couple of pics in a moment.

Charles
Nice view, Charles!

Back
Top Bottom