Possibly the best upgrade you can make to your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redrockerstl55

Hey Guys,

A few days ago I went out to check the torque on my lug nuts on my TT.  My socket would barely go over 2 of my lug nuts. 

I also had the dreaded chrome capped nuts that look great when new but after a little moisture builds up inside and below freezing temps set in they start to expand. 

Here is a short video I made trying to help save others from the hassle.  Thankfully I was still parked in my storage facility parking lot.  This could have been a disaster if we were traveling and in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire and not been able to remove it. 

Hope this can help someone as winter temps are getting serious across the country. 

https://youtu.be/q8OddDz30RA

I believe that he incorrect on the lug nut torque, most trailers have 1/2" studs and the specification is 100, not 160 ft. lbs.  Even the larger 9/16" studs call for only 130.  I do agree with tossing the covered nuts in favor of solid nuts.  The most probable damage to the covered nuts comes from the use of impact wrenches and the use of 12 point sockets.

Here is a chart, never go by hearsay: https://www.etrailer.com/question-75604.html

Thanks for the torque link.

I am confused how moisture gets under the cap.  IMO, those wheel lugs get rather warm driving and all moisture would evaporate.

That said, I too am not a fan of the junky chrome caps

I did have the torque wrong on the lugs...that was for my truck.  Sorry about that.  Everyone should check their own torque numbers for their application and vehicle/trailer.  Thank you. 

Redrockerstl55 said:
I did have the torque wrong on the lugs...that was for my truck.  Sorry about that.  Everyone should check their own torque numbers for their application and vehicle/trailer.  Thank you.

Hi Spencer...not sure how I missed this question.  Sorry about that. 

These cheap lugs are found not only on trailers but also on trucks...they look good new but they are a cost cutting move by manufacturers. 

Water can get behind un underneath the chrome caps...tough for it to get out once it has found a home since it is somewhat trapped.  Then it gets cold outside, the water expands and you have problems. 

The other issue with these caps is they are not durable.  If you are checking your torque or having a tire replaced and the sockets is not fully seated around the lug nut the chrome can get damaged (bent, broken, etc). 

Upgrading is cheap insurance against trouble down the road. 

All the best.

Thank you so much for the FYI!!!!  I continue to marvel at how wonderful people are to share and help with all the knowledge they have gleaned along the way.  Making notes always for DH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Floss71
Back
Top Bottom