Power Converter hook up without batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acman44

I have installed a new pd9200 converter in a rv with no coach batteries. My question is how to hook it up. Do I just run the -DC and +DC outputs to the fuse panel and ground the case to the chasis? Or do I have to run the -DC to the chasis too?

You will need a chassis ground connection as most(if not all) of the circuits use a chassis ground. There might be a connection to chassis ground inside of the 12V distribution panel. You can easily determine if there is by using your ohm meter. If you are replaceing an existing one, hook things up just as they were before.

There is no chasis ground inside distribution panel. All component grounds return to the panel.

Yes, hook it up as you described. You may want to add a chassis ground to the 12v buss negative side, but it is not required to install & operate the inverter. It just makes it easy to provide 12v ground without coming back to the negative buss bar.

For safety reasons, the PD92xx should also have its own chassis ground strap, called out in the install instructions.

I have installed a new pd9200 converter in a rv with no coach batteries. My question is how to hook it up. Do I just run the -DC and +DC outputs to the fuse panel and ground the case to the chasis? Or do I have to run the -DC to the chasis too?
That actually should work.. However I'd consider adding batteries unless the RV is parked full time.
Now I do not know if this is ALWAYS the case but on my RV every FUSED 12 volt device returned to the 12 volt ground bus in the fuse box.. Every one.. None of the FUSED circuits returned to ground.
Now there are some "non fused" circuits.. Do not know how they were done..

For other reasons I would recommend a chassis ground.

So I got the converter hooked up, now I have another issue to figure out.

I have a 12v dc circuit for the water pump that runs approx. 97 ft round trip to the distribution panel. The problem is its mixed with 10ga and 12ga wire. The pump is 13A max. I know the 12ga won't handle 15A at 97 ft. Can I run 10ga from the distribution panel fused at 20 or 15A and add another fuse panel by the pump, approx 30ft. round trip. Then run the remaining 12ga (approx 41ft) fused at 15A from the second panel?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom