Power Converter Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PerroSucio

2009 Starcraft TravelStar 21 foot Hybrid trailer.
On the control panel for the 120 volt breakers, there is a 15 amp breaker that when you power it on, the converter lets out a continuous Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep that does not stop. Is it trying to tell us something ??? It’s the 15 amp breaker on the bottom. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1117.jpeg
    IMG_1117.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 18
"If your power demands (including lights, motor and battery charge) exceeds your converter output rating and voltage drops to 12.5V, the audible alarm will sound. Simply reduce your power demand by turning off the last item that triggered the alarm, the alarm will stop and your converter will function again."

Now, the $64K question is what this is being triggered by but that's the reason the book says it's beeping.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Thanks Mark, this alarm only sounds when you flip on that 15 amp circuit breaker. All the lights are turn off, water pump not operating. When I took the converter cover off I noticed this wire wheel thing not securely fastened and is leaning up against those cooling fins. Even with the 20 amp DC circuit breaker off, the alarm will sound when that bottom 15 amp breaker is flipped on.

Attachments

• IMG_7149.jpeg
    IMG_7149.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7148.jpeg
    IMG_7148.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 10
If you have parts flopping around then all bets are off what's going on. There's limited value in delving much deeper than identifying a replacement converter and swapping it out.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Thanks Mark, this alarm only sounds when you flip on that 15 amp circuit breaker. All the lights are turn off, water pump not operating. When I took the converter cover off I noticed this wire wheel thing not securely fastened and is leaning up against those cooling fins. Even with the 20 amp DC circuit breaker off, the alarm will sound when that bottom 15 amp breaker is flipped on.
Depower that thing, now.

That breaker provide 120v power to the converter, so with the breaker off the converter is an inert hunk of metal. Turning the breaker on provides power but as soon as the converter turns on it sounds an alarm. That suggest either a converter overload (too much 12vdc demand), overheating, or some serious internal fault. Since the alarm is immediate, I'd rule out overheating.

I suggest removing the fuses for the 12v branch circuits, thus limiting the 12v power draw on the converter (the built-in battery charger still operates). If the Beeeep! still occurs, the converter probably has some internal fault and needs to be replaced.

Here's one source for a replacement for your ELX-45 converter/charger.

When I took the converter cover off I noticed this wire wheel thing not securely fastened and is leaning up against those cooling fins.
That is a choke coil/inductor and is probably a filter on the DC output but no matter what it is, if it is just flopping around it probably isn't connected as it should be. Have you got a volt/ohm meter? If you I'd measure both AC and DC on the output.

There are two converters I suggest
If your unit is a "Stand alone" Converter (The fuses and breakers are... Elsewhere)
Progressive Dynamics 9200
If the fuses and breakers are in front of the converter and they are all bolted to the same frame
progressive Dynamics 4600.. in your case the smallest should do fine.

Sounds like the 4600 is for you

The alarm means the output load is exceeding the capacity of the inverter causing the output to drop below 12.5 volts when energized. My guess is that inductor (the "wire wheel") rubbed against the heat sink as it flopped around and punctured the insulation, creating an internal short to ground when the inverter is turned on. The wire insulation on that inductor is just enamel paint.

Replacing the converter section is your best option unless you want to take the old one apart and try to fix it.

Get out your meter and trace to see what it supplies if you don't know from what isn't working. Do you have 12V power from all of the fuses? If not the breaker is probably supplying the converter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThiWanderer
Back
Top Bottom