Power outlets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby Peterson

Hey guys,i just replaced my jack knife couch with two recliners. The couch had power to it for LED lights and a USB port and had a wire coming out of the wall and connected to the couch with wire nuts. can i convert the wire from the wall into a wall mounted outlet with two plugs? Because i need an outlet for each chair.

I know the chairs are 120 they have the standard plug.
One white one blue
If what you have is just 2 wires and not the Romex type used for 120V power than you will probably create major problems if you try. Most 120V wiring will look like this.
12-2-NM-B-1.jpg

Do you know where the power to the 2 wires comes from? It is probably a fuse in your 12V distribution panel. If 120V it would have a circuit breaker. No matter what you have there, you need some basic electrical knowledge if you plan to wire anything and not risk fire or electrocution. Working on electricity when you do not know what you are doing comes with great risk.

I'll echo what Charles, Rene and Kirk said above, and especially note Kirk's last sentence. For example, the lights, fridge and much else in most RVs use 12V DC (battery, in other words), though the electric on the fridge will be from 120V AC (shore, or house style power) though its control board needs the 12V DC also. So with two (three if it's a motorhome) different electrical systems considerable care and, at the least, some basic electrical knowledge are needed to avoid some (potentially) very serious problems.

So do, please, get an inexpensive multimeter (Lowe's, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc. have them) and learn to use it for voltage checks and, perhaps, for some other uses.

That is why the IF/Then statement.

Oh if 120 volt odds are you can install a shallow wall box and outlet as well.
Well, look more closely at the replies above, quoted here:

can i convert the wire from the wall into a wall mounted outlet with two plugs? Because i need an outlet for each chair.

If the wires are 12 volt. then 100% yes.
How is 12V wires OK with household power?

What gwinger says. Further, typical RV Led lighting is 12v and that's also all that a USB port needs. I'd say highly likely the wiring for that couch was 12v. The meter will tell...

What gwinger says. Further, typical RV Led lighting is 12v and that's also all that a USB port needs. I'd say highly likely the wiring for that couch was 12v. The meter will tell...
That’s what i’m thinking with the USB only needing 12v i’m sure that’s what the wire is. But next time i’m at the trailer location i’ll use a meter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjbodjb
Back
Top Bottom