PowerGear slide issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
We just purchased a 2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD, which has three slideouts that are manufactured by PowerGear. We are encountering an occasional problem with two of the slideouts (the full-wall slide and the right/front passenger slide). I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem, and if so, what did you do to fix it. The problem I'm about to describe happens about every other time I use the slides.

When I'm putting the slide OUT and it reaches its full extension, the control panel will sometimes give me a Fault Code (5 repeating red LED flashes). When this happens, I am unable to bring the slide IN in the normal manner. The operator's manual says it's a "Major Fault" that has something to do with the wiring to the motors. The manual also instructs me to remove the affected slide's control panel from the wall,  push the "Reset" button on the back of the circuit board and then simultaneously push the IN and OUT buttons to bring the slideout back in. You have to do this for each malfunctioning slide.

From what I can tell, this "Reset" process bypasses the sensors that are supposed to monitor the position of the slide while it's in motion, to ensure that it retracts evenly. Could the sensors be part of the problem? The problem occurs whether the engine is running or off. It occurs when the coach is plugged into shore power or when it's on batteries. The batteries are showing a full charge.

It appears that the previous owner was using this "Reset" process on a routine basis, because when I removed the screws that hold the control panels to the wall, they were loose and there were multiple sets of holes for each panel. Has anyone experienced this type of fault with PowerGear slides? Does anyone have any idea why this is happening, and what (if anything) I could do to fix it? I'm not opposed to taking the coach in to be worked on, but if there was something I could do to fix it, I'd like to give that a try first.

Thanks

Kev

I may have found an answer to my own question. I just found a "WIT Club News Service Tips Bulletin" online, dated  October 2011 that addresses this very issue. It involves resetting the Chassis Battery Disconnect Switch - something I did not do while I was troubleshooting the problem. I'll test it tomorrow, cross my fingers and let you know.

Kev

There is a god chance that you will have to replace the affected slide motor.We have had to replace two motors on the Power gear slide on our 2012 Monaco Knight. Apparently there is a problem with moisture getting to them and shorting out the sensors . This may be the problem with yours....Alan

Thanks Alan, but fortunately, I didn't have to buy new slide motors, or any other parts for that matter. The information contained in the Winnebago Service Bulletin solved the problem. It says you must turn the Chassis Battery switch OFF for at least 30 seconds, turn it back on again, and then start the engine before attempting to run the slides in or out. Apparently, this provides the slides with enough amps to keep them happy. And sure enough, it worked. No more Fault Codes.

I guess  being plugged into a 30 amp circuit wasn't enough to keep the slides happy. Live and learn.

Thanks again.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Thanks Alan, but fortunately, I didn't have to buy new slide motors, or any other parts for that matter. The information contained in the Winnebago Service Bulletin solved the problem. It says you must turn the Chassis Battery switch OFF for at least 30 seconds, turn it back on again, and then start the engine before attempting to run the slides in or out. Apparently, this provides the slides with enough amps to keep them happy. And sure enough, it worked. No more Fault Codes.

I guess  being plugged into a 30 amp circuit wasn't enough to keep the slides happy. Live and learn.

Thanks again.

Kev

Very interesting, I will most defiantly remember to try that on our Monaco if we ever have this problem again...Alan

Kev, I realize this was a 2013 post but am curious if the battery disconnect fix solved your problem long term. We have a 2011 that is doing the same thing, any time we want to move the big slide in or out, we have to remove the control panel and press reset. There are no error lights.

Not yet.....I just read this this morning and will not be moving again until Saturday. Will certainly try it then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom