Preferred route from Quartzsite to Tacoma Wa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjsbiz

Hello everyone.... I’m leaving this weekend first time towing my 18’ trailer. I’ve been debating about the route. I can’t find tow mirrors for my 1999 cargo van and I want to avoid California large cities. I’m pretty comfortable traveling through Oregon and Washington but not California. I don’t like steep windy roads with no guard rail. Haha I know I’m asking for a lot but I hope I can get some good feedback from you all. Can you give me advice on this route... no

I can’t help you as far as the route I just want to say I would never tow a RV without knowing what’s behind me or seeing what’s passing me on either side. I’m pretty sure it’s even illegal. Good luck.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Hello everyone.... I’m leaving this weekend first time towing my 18’ trailer. I’ve been debating about the route. I can’t find tow mirrors for my 1999 cargo van and I want to avoid California large cities. I’m pretty comfortable traveling through Oregon and Washington but not California. I don’t like steep windy roads with no guard rail. Haha I know I’m asking for a lot but I hope I can get some good feedback from you all. Can you give me advice on this route...
i10 Quartzsite to yucca valley hey 62
to Victorville then 18/138
west to Palmdale
Up to Lancaster Hwy 14 to 138
West to Gorman to I5
Then to avoid Sacramento turn off at Hwy 12 to 113 north to woodland to catch I5 north to Washington

How about 95 north out of Quartzsite, stay on 95 north thru southern Nevada to Reno/Sparks,, then 395 susanville north/west to I5 at Mount Shasta and into Oregon and Seatac..>>>Dan ( You WILL have to have suitable mirrors install before attempting any trip this length ) ( This route minimises the California time.)

How many times have we been behind a trailer and we can’t see any side mirrors. Scary. IMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: RRR
Welcome to The RV Forum!

Can you get some clip-on towing mirrors from some place like K&B Tools before you leave Quartzsite?

As far as avoiding CA cities to Tacoma, as long as the roads are clear I suggest taking I-40 west from Needles to Barstow, then CA 58 west to Kramer Junction and 395 north from there. It runs along the plains on the east side of the Sierras and has several good stops along the way. There's the memorial to the Manzanar WWII Japanese internment camp south of Independence, CA. Be sure to stop in the Museum of Western Film History in Lone Pine. The nearby Alabama Hills have been popular filming locations since the days of the old westerns. They're on BLM land and you can boondock there.

If you're going up I-5, I'd take US 97 from Weed, CA to Klamath Falls, then continue north to OR 58 and take that west to Eugene. This is the route the railroad takes for minimum grades and misses Siskiyou Summit and several other ups and downs on I-5 in Southern Oregon.

I can’t help you as far as the route I just want to say I would never tow a RV without knowing what’s behind me or seeing what’s passing me on either side. I’m pretty sure it’s even illegal. Good luck.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
I have mirrors and you Would need a camera in the rear to see what is behind you

I have mirrors and you Would need a camera in the rear to see what is behind you
The mirrors have to stick out further than the trailer so they create a blind spot that becomes more narrow as you get further behind the trailer.

If the mirrors are narrower than the trailer, the blind spot grows wider with distance and may prevent you from seeing traffic approaching you in an adjacent lane.

The legal requirement is the mirrors must be spaced wide enough so their coverage overlaps 200 ft. behind the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom