Prepaid cell phones - best/cheapest one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like you can get the same phone with 1400 minutes and accessories and Triple Minutes for $99 at QVC.

rsalhus said:
It looks like you can get the same phone with 1400 minutes and accessories and Triple Minutes for $99 at QVC.

Perhaps, but the Amazon reviews revealed many poor marks from that phone recently ordered from QVC and HSN (Home Shopping Network)... repeated reports of Wifi not working.  The Amazon/ebay buyers had few issues with theirs... at least on the reviews that I read.

Could it be that the buyers on QVC and HSN were not quite as "Computer Savvy" as those on Amazon?  Just a thought.  :p

rsalhus said:
Could it be that the buyers on QVC and HSN were not quite as "Computer Savvy" as those on Amazon?  Just a thought.  :p

Could be, but if you read the reviews it becomes pretty clear.  The QVC/HSN people seemed to get a bad batch of phones, all described the exact wifi issues with some people claiming to be very familiar with technology.  I figured why take the chance, I'd rather buy from an established Amazon/ebay seller who has clear return & warranty policies.

Samsung phone arrived today, no problems connecting to my home wifi... activation and porting my old number was a bit cumbersome (requiring me and two barely-English-speakers to have a conference call of sorts, in English) but it got done.  With some bonus minutes added in to my initial 1200 minutes, I have 1560 minutes good for 425 days (12/28/13).  Not bad for $99.99, which breaks down to $7.14/month if the minutes last for the entire 14 months.

Thanks for all the tips!

wstuart said:
I assume (I hate to) that it will make and receive calls and text from Canada.?

Probably but that would be carrier-specific for any international plan.  I'm sure the Tracfone website covers those options.

Hello all.

Canada isn't considered international on phones. (From my experience) They use the same 1 code before the number.

We had Tracfones a long time ago, but our usage grew till we needed unlimited. Currently Android is our internet, phone, and some entertainment. Using wi-fi hotspots on the we could cut costs greatly by switching back. (Android can sure be handy and fun.

About using the Tracfone to make calls to/from Canada:  Yes. Even better: the rate for calls to Canada is the same as for a US call, as long as you first dial a provided 1-800 number. In fact we use this phone to call our relatives in Holland too - at the same rate!!

Elly

From Tracfone's basic Terms & Conditions, it looks like calls TO Canada may not be an issue ... but calls FROM Canada could be more difficult.  Here is the relevant section:

4.    INTERNATIONAL CALLS
You may now use your TRACFONE to make international calls to landlines (including some cellular phones in some countries) at no additional charge (See www.tracfone.com for available countries and details). The available countries are subject to change without prior notice. In order to place an international call, you will need to dial the international long distance access number 1-800-706-3839 and follow the instructions. From Alaska, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands you will need to dial 305-938-5673 as the international long distance access number. Airtime deductions for international calls begin the moment the International Long Distance ("ILD") access number is dialed and apply to dropped calls, misdialed numbers and busy destination numbers. When making international calls, you may experience connection failures more frequently than calls made within the United States. TracFone Wireless will not credit airtime minutes deducted for unsuccessful calls. You will not be able to make or receive calls on your TRACFONE when you are located outside of the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

TRACFONE International Neighbors is a service that enables callers in Mexico and Canada to set up a local number to ring on a TRACFONE in the US. (Please call 1-800-867-7183 for details).

It would seem that a call to Tracfone at the above number would probably clear up any questions about Canada service.

Back
Top Bottom