Preparing for wind question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YoBenny

I am in Pensacola Fl. with a TS bearing down on us, 50-60 mph wind tops, a 7x16 cargo trailer conversion. Having trouble finding a place to hide it from the wind, just going to prepare for it. I have 4 heavy jack stands, I am thinking use those to steady it a bit. Can't find any scissor jacks local too late to ship, I think jack stands are more sturdy anyway. Was also told leave it hooked to the truck. Any tips appreciated.

Yes that is probably the best route, but I am a host at a state park here, I need to get back to help clean up so I don't want to go too far, but all the parks in the area are closed down. Davis Bayou in Miss. is still open but that may change before tomorrow. I've been through 5 hurricanes, two majors, just never had to tend to a trailer in one before and not wanting to run 200 miles to come right back the next day.

Plus being an ardent tropical storm nerd and weather nut, I am just not too impressed with this little storm. Still has no circulation after Cuba departure, I don't think it is capable of a surprise leap into 75+ mph winds. And no well organized wind either. Just not much to it, telling myself this trailer can take that, I may be wrong.

If you know from which direction the wind will blow tongue or tail to it. The trailer is designed to survive 70MPH headwinds not sweat. in fat it routinely does that frequently.
Minimioze. Awnings, retracted, Windows closed, Slides iN.

Jack stands are good. a hydraulic floor jack and help lift the trailer to set it down on the stand
DO NOT lift the wheels off the ground.

I would not worry too much, from what I have seen they don't tend to flip until the winds get in the 80-90 mph range, and even then they need to be in open spaces.

You won’t have any issues if you find out what direction the winds will be coming from and just point the truck and trailer into the direction the wind will be coming from. 50 mph winds will be no different than driving down the road at 50 mph. You’ll be fine. You could also just park it next to a building that has survived a real hurricane.

Rene offers a very good suggestion! However, if it is allowed where you are camped, you could get some hurricane anchors and tie your unit to “tera-firma”!

I inclosed a link, just for information purposes! memtb

I wouldn't put it on jackstands. I'd leave it hooked to truck. Pick up every loose item in cg.

Rene, part of the problem with planning for a hurricane, particularly a direct hit from the eye is that the wind will change direction, and could potentially come from any direction. Last year when we took a direct hit from hurricane Laura I experienced this first hand as the eye passed over our house with peak wind speeds of 130+ mph, an experience I never want to have again. I had been through lesser storms many times, including staying here through hurricane Rita in 2005 with 95+ mph winds, but Laura was something different completely, huddling in the dark in our house in the middle of the night listening to large trees come crashing to the ground all around us, and heavy items hitting the walls and roof of the house. Then the relative calm (think breeze day calm, not dead still calm) of the eye arrived at about 3:00 am allowing me a few minutes to go outside and survey the damage, see the large downed trees in our driveway, and around the house, then 15-20 minutes, then the winds reverse and start coming from the other direction, and within minutes are back up over 100 mph, and we are back to huddling inside the house listening to large trees fall. Afterward around 1/5th of the houses were rendered uninhabitable, many are still being rebuilt now a year later, many others still have blue tarps on the roofs, and some, perhaps 1 in 20 were so badly damaged to be complete tear downs.

I think I would pick up and visit Montgomery Alabama for a few days. This is why I have a motorhome.
I thought you had a fifth wheel stationary in an RV park. By current forecast you would be going the wrong way to get away from Fred.

In prep for Hurricane Michael, too late to leave so I moved the MH with the long side touching the roof (gutter actually) of the carport. Braced all along the frame rails with logs cut to exact length (8 of them), said a prayer and waited. Mikie became a cat 5 and winds were horrible. The MH actually leaned a little toward the car port slightly damaging the awning but she survived. 16 days on a Honda 2000i for electricity then 8 months later we moved from the MH back to the house. Neighbor's 5ver flipped over early in the storm.

Cheers

A while back, towing a travel trailer, we had to pull into a rest stop because they closed the highway (just outside of Cheyenne Wyoming) due to strong winds. Made sure we were parked facing into the wind (60+mph) to wait it out. Minutes later the wind got under the rolled up awning and ripped the fabric out and turned it into a sail. Out in high winds, by this time accompanied by sleet, with wife holding ladder while I cut off the fabric. Looked like a couple snowmen by the time we were done. Awning destroyed.

If you face into the wind, make sure everything is secured real tight, especially the awning, if you have one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OhDis
Back
Top Bottom