Problem filling Generator and filling station gas tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ride Everything

Hello all -  I have a 30 gallon tank for both my gen and a separate filling station on my toy hualer.  The only way for me to get gas in this damn tank is trickle the gas in!! Even then, I'm having a lot of trouble.  The gas is constantly getting backed-up; which then triggers the gas station pump to shut off thinking the tank is full.  The only way I've been able to get gas in this thing is to use a moto gas can.

I talked with two buddies on my last trip who are dealing with the same issue (different brand of toy haulers, too).  I mean really, if you saw how slow I had to pour gas in this tank, with a gas can, you wouldn't believe it.  It's ridiculous!

Any advice, any ideas?  I have to get this fixed, what a PITA!!

Thanks!

The problem is the tank is a long way from the wall, So the filler pipe runs more or less... Flat for quite a distance.  Motor homes often have the same issue.

The solution is to slant the pipe.  Drop jacks on the filler side ONLY of the rig and lift it a bit.  Or park so the rig slopes AWAY from the pump.  Alas, it's not a very good solution.. but it does work.  I've done it.

There may be a vent line that's blocked or kinked.

Ned said:
There may be a vent line that's blocked or kinked.

That's sure what it feels like, but it's only about two feet long and both lines are perfectly straight.  I'm wondering if there's something I can stick in there, flexible funnel, or something??

The only way to cure that problem is to make an unrestricted vent pipe, equal in diameter to the nozzle of the gas pump. Then all the fuel going in, can displace all the air in the tank without bubbling up. I have had to do that on three separate systems in the past - once done, the problem is gone.

Ragman said:
The only way to cure that problem is to make an unrestricted vent pipe, equal in diameter to the nozzle of the gas pump. Then all the fuel going in, can displace all the air in the tank without bubbling up. I have had to do that on three separate systems in the past - once done, the problem is gone.

Where would I find out how/where to do that?? Thanks

You need to find out where the breather pipe is, and make a larger one. The systems I had problems with had a rubber bung with the thin breather attached -  I removed the thin breather pipe, and made up a lip for a thicker pipe, and used it with the modified bung. I used a grommet I bought from Harbor Freight, and a gasoline proof hose pipe for the breather. It took an hour to complete on one system, a little longer because of access problems, on the other two.

If you can get at the tank, look for the breather pipe, and see what you do to improve the angle, or if needed, how to replace it. It really is not difficult, but ensure that you do not cause any sparks, and certainly do not smoke anywhere near the tank when working on it. ( I add that last suggestion as over 100 people a year die in the US, by smoking and working on fuel systems. )

Ragman said:
You need to find out where the breather pipe is, and make a larger one. The systems I had problems with had a rubber bung with the thin breather attached -  I removed the thin breather pipe, and made up a lip for a thicker pipe, and used it with the modified bung. I used a grommet I bought from Harbor Freight, and a gasoline proof hose pipe for the breather. It took an hour to complete on one system, a little longer because of access problems, on the other two.

If you can get at the tank, look for the breather pipe, and see what you do to improve the angle, or if needed, how to replace it. It really is not difficult, but ensure that you do not cause any sparks, and certainly do not smoke anywhere near the tank when working on it. ( I add that last suggestion as over 100 people a year die in the US, by smoking and working on fuel systems. )

Which one is the breather pipe, the small hose running along the larger gas hose, or is it the small hose on the very top of the tank that's open on one end.  I can get at the tank pretty easily. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom