Problem with this 5er Height?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryB

Hi - am becoming interested in a BigHorn 5er (Heartland).  But it's just 1/2 inch shy of 13 feet tall.  And if I choose the second A/C unit, the height will probably change to around 13.5-14 feet.  Will this height cause a problem at gas stations, bridges, campgrounds? I've never even RV'd before!

Thanks
Gary

You may indeed encounter some height problems especially at gas station overhangs. Our Cameo is just under 13 feet.
I use 13.5 as our min um clearance limit.

Dave

Older interstate bridges were often built to a 13'6" specification (newer construction is typically 15 feet) so yes you may have a problem in the Eastern US where highways are older than in the West.  And non-interstate underpasses in older towns and cities are sometimes 13 feet or less - I know of some that are 11-11'6".

That much height will be a nuisance in many wooded campsites too, due to overhanging tree limbs. Try to stay at 13 feet or less if you can, especially if you live or travel in the NorthEast or Middle Atlantic states.

Gary is right.. even when we had our MH(WindSport) we have had to go around a few places .. and not just here in the North East.. been a few places in the midwest as well..

That much height will be a nuisance in many wooded campsites too, due to overhanging tree limbs. Try to stay at 13 feet or less if you can, especially if you live or travel in the NorthEast or Middle Atlantic states.

You can add the West to that list.  I have seen impromtu tree prunings in California and Glacier NP.  Usually the score is Tree-2, RV-1.   

Have a cracked small solar panel on our Motorhome now.  Thinking it occurred in Albuquerque, N.Mex  Just noticed it this week.  Well darn off to the RV shop later this week.

13' 6" is the maximum legal height any thing over that requires a state permit issued per trip.

13' 6" is the maximum legal height any thing over that requires a state permit issued per trip.

May I ask the source for that information?  Height limits are set by various authorities, depending on who has authority over the particular road in question, and I know of no uniform height limit across all the states.

Another problem is an overpass may be posted at, say, 14' but the road dips underneath it, making the effective height less.  Also, they don't always change the posted clearance when they add a layer of asphalt on the roadway, further reducing the height.

Thanks all.  I'll definitely try to stay under 13 feet (actually just at 13 ft since the stated height is 12 ft 11.5 inches).

Gary

May I ask the source for that information?? ?Height limits are set by various authorities, depending on who has authority over the particular road in question, and I know of no uniform height limit across all the states.

Gary, you're right Federal Law does not impose a height restriction, that is left up to the states. The state laws vary from 13.5 feet to 14.5 feet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom