Propane and refrigerator question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonTom

I have a 2005 Cabin A travel trailer with a Dometic refrigerator #2353.  I have sucessfully dry camped several times.  I use LPG to the refrigerator full time with no problems, until recently.

The LP tank ran empty during the night and the next morning I switched tanks manually and tried to relight the refrigerator. It would not relight.  As this was the last day of the outting, it was not a big deal, so I returned home and cleaned things out and turning off the LP tank.

The next day, starting to trouble shoot the problem, I opened the LPG and the refrigerator relit without a problem.  Oh!   

I'm glad it relit, but why?  Does the Dometic need to have the gas off for a certain amount of time for it to relight ?  Any ideas or is this a common issue ?

thanks in advance
Jon  :)

Possibly when you ran out of LP you got air in the line while changing tanks.  Next time this happens try lighting the stove then go back and try the refrigerator.

Yes - you simply had air in the gas lines and it took time for the gas to work its way to the fridge to re-light.  Probably would have been OK in 15-20 minutes.  Running the stove helps draw LPG up  into the lines. The stove ios far more forgiving of air bubbles in the lines and you can readily see when it lights and stops flickering. Once the stove works good, the fridge (and water heater) should light without too much difficulty.

:)  Thanks All for your replies.
I will remember to bleed the lines the next time.
So I infer from your comments that running a tank dry is not a problem, providing that you bleed the lines as usual?

Jon

Back
Top Bottom