Propane refill locations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeFromMesa

Until I bought my new RV I used my after-market GPS to store gas/diesel/propane locations for when we travel, but our new RV has a built-in gps so I assume I will not be able to use my current custom location information. That leaves me wondering how I will be able to find refill stations for propane.

I also use my GasBuddy phone app for gas and diesel but they do not have propane locations. Given how few propane refill stations I generally see I was wondering how folks on this forum found propane for when they need it. Are there any chain fueling stops that always have propane? Or do folks just pick a phone app and use it? Or some other way. Since the new RV has a propane generator and since we do a fair amount of boon docking this is of some concern to me.

Thanks for any help.

Fixed LP tank on your coach or portable LP cylinders?
I have a 5th wheel and it has 30 LB cylinders (2). I almost exclusively use U-Haul for my propane needs as they fill the cylinders by the gallon and not by a fixed price.
I have occasionally used re-fill services at campgrounds and once or twice at LP vendors locations.
Just googling works for me.

From the way your phrased this, I'm guessing you have a permanently mounted tank that must be refilled as opposed to a compartment that holds a couple of those BBQ type tanks, so they can't simply be exchanged?

Do keep in mind that you could have your system modded with one of those extend-a-stay kits so you COULD plug a BBQ tank or two in as needed.  Probably be a good idea to do so.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
From the way your phrased this, I'm guessing you have a permanently mounted tank that must be refilled as opposed to a compartment that holds a couple of those BBQ type tanks, so they can't simply be exchanged?

Yes. Sorry for not being clearer, but I never thought about taking small tanks with me.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Do keep in mind that you could have your system modded with one of those extend-a-stay kits so you COULD plug a BBQ tank or two in as needed.  Probably be a good idea to do so.

My concern is running out of propane and not being able to run the LP generator, or run the refrigerator on propane when we are traveling. We do not take our BBQ with us when we travel.

wackymac said:
Why not just take your aftermarket GPS with you.

I suppose I could, but there is no place convenient for me to hook it up. Of course I could take it and use it as a separate device like my laptop, and perhaps that is the best way to address this problem. I just thought there was probably some easy way to look for propane, like a good phone app.

I never had a problem finding a place to refill my fixed propane tank. Most truck stops have propane. Many campgrounds also have propane.

Do a search on your built-in GPS for propane and see what comes up. Do this at home or in an area where you're familiar with what is available and see how the results compare. Then you'll know if you can use this method on the road.

I just use Google maps on my phone to find a nearby propane fill station.  Then I switch to satellite view to see if I can get the coach into their parking lot.

A lot of truck stop gas stations have propane refill stations, but I use Tractor Supply whenever I can.  There are tons of these stores, especially in rural areas.  A lot of ACE Hardware Stores also have propane. Many KOA and other commercial campgrounds also have propane for sale.

Otherwise, I just ask the camp hosts at any campground I am in and they nearly always can direct me to a place that can fill my built-in propane tank.

Old_Crow said:
I just use Google maps on my phone to find a nearby propane fill station.  Then I switch to satellite view to see if I can get the coach into their parking lot.

That does seem simple enough, and I just tried it on my phone. Worked like a charm, although there are not many near where I live.

This was never a problem before because the only things we ran on propane were the refrigerator and a single stove burner and I could check before we left on a trip and know that a fill would last me for 6 months or so. But the new RV has a propane generator and I suspect that might use a lot more propane than the refrigerator and an occasional cooktop use.

To add to all of the above, the Allstays app shows propane fill locations, but probably not all of them.  I use a local equipment rental place - if they carry propane operated stuff, they often sell it.  Also, many U-Haul locations stock it. 

I think the upshot of all this is to demonstrate the impracticality of propane generators that probably must be resupplied with propane daily. Bite the bullet and pay for a diesel generator.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
I think the upshot of all this is to demonstrate the impracticality of propane generators that probably must be resupplied with propane daily. Bite the bullet and pay for a diesel generator.
Of course it depends on how much you use your generator. In our case that is generally restricted to short periods where we are using something like the microwave or toaster or, during the summer, when we need air conditioning. Otherwise the generator is off as my wife does not like the sound or the smell. The LP generator was quieter and I did not smell the exhaust, but I do not think it would run much in any case as we generally do not need it.

Given that I suspect I will not need refills very often, given our generator use, but if I do I expect I would replace it with a diesel generator if I could find one that fits.

Not sure how many locations you are talking about, but can you not perhaps program them into your new GPS and save them there?

Out West we have never had problem finding LP suppliers, there seem to be plenty around as a lot of folks rely on that form of energy I think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FmStars
Back
Top Bottom