Proper tire pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCE42342

What tire pressure should I have for a cross country trip ? My door jam says- 30 # for normal driving . The tire sidewall says 51# max at 2337# max. The rear axle says 3000# at my local Cat Scales / loaded , so thats 1500# per tire. I split the difference and put it at 42#s. Does that sound about right ?

Use the pressures on the Federal Tire Placard for the vehicle. I've never heard of anyone consulting a load/inflation chart for an auto or pickup truck. Those placard pressures will support the vehicle loaded up to its maximum GVWR.
Goodyear says lowering inflation pressure to obtain a softer ride is not effective and can be detrimental to tire integrity.

My truck says 35 in door jam. I run 39 in rear, 37 in front while towing, just to firm things up. 42 might be a tad high, but acceptable within tire specs so... sure.

I've never heard of anyone consulting a load/inflation chart for an auto or pickup truck. Those placard pressures will support the vehicle loaded up to its maximum GVWR.
Not for an sedan or SUV, but for a pickup truck I think it is appropriate. The OP already stated that his placard specifies a psi for "normal driving". Not sure what the manufacturer considers normal, but the implication is something less than max load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom