psi again !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunset

I am so new to this rving that I still have the new smell. However my motorhome is a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain with 19.5 tires  my question is about psi. Inside the drivers door the tag says 70#psi, for what i imagine is tare weight. In reading about tire mfg. Goodyear says for storing + 25% (that is 87.7#psi) does that sound right?  My tires are G 159 Goodyear F rating  245/70R 19.5. The tires I assume are original. Look to be in good shape (looks can be deceiving) Should I just not worry about it this year and buy  new in the spring?

Thanks
Sunset
[edit]Fixed title.[/edit]

To correctly determine tire pressures you need to know the weight of the motorhome, either from the weight sticker that will be somewhere inside the coach or preferably by weighing the coach. Then do one of the following:

If you don't have a method of weighing the coach, click the Library button above, select RV-related how-to's and click Weight capacity calculations to estimate the weight, then do the following.

If you're able to weigh the coach or have arrived at an estimate, click the Library button above, select RV-related how-to's and click Correct tire inflation pressure.

sunset said:
I am so new to this rving that I still have the new smell. However my motorhome is a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain with 19.5 tires? my question is about psi. Inside the drivers door the tag says 70#psi, for what i imagine is tare weight. In reading about tire mfg. Goodyear says for storing + 25% (that is 87.7#psi) does that sound right?? My tires are G 159 Goodyear F rating? 245/70R 19.5. The tires I assume are original. Look to be in good shape (looks can be deceiving) Should I just not worry about it this year and buy? new in the spring?

Thanks
Sunset

You are at limit of tire life -normally 5-6 years. More important you must know rim capacity. Exceeding rim inflation capacity is dangerous to your health.

Maximum rim inflation pressure should be stamped on the rims.

You're welcome Sunset, although I can't imagine why you'd inflate your tires above the max rim capacity if followed the procedures I pointed you to.

Tom
I couldn't understand the + 25% either, I checked the library site like you said and found out that I am at correct pressure. I'll just store them at 70#'s

Thanks again 

I just re-read the original message and realized I missed the "Goodyear says for storing + 25%" comment. Now I understand why Leo told you to watch the rim capacity. I can't understand why Goodyear would suggest the +25%. I store my coach with the normal running tire pressures - calculated the way I described.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom