Pulling hwy 1 through San Francisco ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHarpJ

I would like to drive Hwy 1 north right through San Francisco and across the Golden Gate Bridge and would like to know if this would be a problem pulling my 32 foot fifth wheel?
Thanks

19th Ave. is a 6 lane boulevard with timed lights.  Stay in the middle lane - the right lane is congested with buses stopping every other block and people making right turns.

Once you're on the Golden Gate Bridge, the trick is the curb lane in each direction is 6" wider than the rest of the lanes.  Trucks and vehicles towing trailers are advised to use the curb lane.

Lou's advice is spot on!  I would also caution to avoid commute hours on 101 from the Golden Gate north until well past Santa Rosa.  I'm not familiar with commute conditions south of San Francisco.

Margi

Sunday morning is an excellent time to do this.  The aforementioned 19th Ave. "can" be a bit hairy when there's a lot of traffic.  You got good advice from Lou about using the curb lane on the bridge.  Also, no tolls are collected on the northbound direction.

ArdraF

After you cross the bay on the GG, there's a vista point that provides some great opportunities for photos of the bridge with SF in the background.

Tom and Margi said:
Lou's advice is spot on!  I would also caution to avoid commute hours on 101 from the Golden Gate north until well past Santa Rosa.  I'm not familiar with commute conditions south of San Francisco.

Margi
The best way depends on the time. There are often longer, but MUCH faster  ways to get around, but sometimes more difficult  with a larger vehicle. For an example, when 19TH Ave is very busy(commute times as well as weekend days) , we will take the Great Highway (35 to Upper Great Highway,  right next to the ocean) to and from the Golden Gate Bridge.

-Don-  South San Francisco, CA

ArdraF said:
Sunday morning is an excellent time to do this.  The aforementioned 19th Ave. "can" be a bit hairy when there's a lot of traffic.  You got good advice from Lou about using the curb lane on the bridge.  Also, no tolls are collected on the northbound direction.ArdraF
There is a sign on the GG Bridge that trucks and RVs MUST use the curb lane.

-Don- South San Francisco, CA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom