Pumping Trailer Tires, What Air Compressors do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dbFL said:
OldRadios, you ever worry about combustion with that one? I have the same model at home but opted to leave it due to weight and fear of the tank causing damage to the camper, god forbid something happened

No, never worry about it.  More chance of a fitting failing than the tank. I don't leave the hose pressurized or the tank if it's going to set for a long time. Only takes a couple of minutes to build up to full pressure if it's empty anyway and it takes me that long to get the hose and gauge out while it's coming up to pressure.  Besides, I'm always sitting on 50+ gallons of gas, a pressurized propane tank and lines, a large black tank full of toxic crap, and roll down the road with seven tires fully pressurized. The little air compressor is the least of my worries.  :)

Sun2Retire said:
Just picked up a Viair in prep for our next trip.

Had a chance to use the Viair for the first time. Granted, it's an expensive unit but I was seriously impressed. First the unit was much quieter than I expected - quieter than my 110V pancake. Because there is no air tank, the unit only runs while you're filling a tire and shuts off immediately after closing the fill valve. But the biggest surprise was the air volume. I anticipated very long fill times, but it was the opposite. This little compressor fills tires much faster than my pancake - I'd estimate adding 6psi to a 115psi tire took under 10 seconds. Very happy with it.

I have the same one as oldradios. None of these things are going to explode or be any danger. I had an old one rust a pin hole in the tank and you just end up with a slow leak. I mounted mine next to my Honda 3000 in the front of my truck bed.  With a 50 ft hose I can reach everything

kdbgoat said:
Scott, which model did you get?

This one. Comes with plenty of hose, standard double headed chuck and a screw-on inflator with gauge which is what I use. No holding chuck on stem then switching to tire gauge, just pull the trigger for a couple seconds, let go and read the gauge. (I found the gauge reads 3psi high.)

After slight adjustments to 10 tires unit was slightly hot so I let it cool for 10 minutes before I put it back in the very sturdy case it comes in. Directions say it can get very hot which I imagine could be true if you were filling a large flat tire. 30 minute duty cycle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom