Purchased Media Content Viewing Offline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truline

I am expanding my library of purchased online media content. I have been trying to get a viable way to download and watch when offline. Such as when we are in the mountains and cellular data is non existent. I keep encountering that although I can download the content. the viewing app (amazon, vudu, etc) needs a internet handshake in order to initiate the viewing session. This pretty much negates the idea of viewing the purchased & downloaded media offline. Has anyone ever found a method that works for them?

I stream from my laptop to my Roku. Roku also has a built in media player that I use to watch movies that are on an external hard drive I have. The Roku and hard drive have to be on the same network. In my case, the hard drive is hard wired to the router and the Roku connects via wifi. The Roku can also be hard wired to the router if it is close.

Also check your TV. Some TVs with a USB port will play media on a USB thumb drive.

Playon Desktop will do it. playon.tv
If you want to cast it to a tv rather than just play it on a laptop you'll need a Roku. No internet connection required although the Roku complains.

We use an Amazon firestick and don't have any issues. It does need WiFi on to connect to your device but doesn't need to connect to the Internet.

I download Netflix shows all the time to my tablet. Never had a handshake need.

I think the "newer" streaming services have a different business model. Although it seems totally nutso to require an internet connection for downloaded content.

I also record using Playon Home Desktop. We have recorded about 2 terrabytes of all our favorite movies and TV series so far. Then to watch them in the RV I move them to USB flash drives. Many if not most newer TVs will play from flash drives, although my Samsung TV has issues keeping the video and audio synced. To fix that I bought a Micca Speck years ago that works perfectly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom