Pushing my weight limit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allscott

I know this has been discussed to death around here and I have read some of the helpful tips guides on weights but I am looking for opinions on a possible setup I am considering.

I currently own a 2008 dodge 2500 QC diesel 6spd auto.  GCWR is 20000lbs, curb weight is 6934lbs.  Dodges web site lists maximum towing capacity of 12900lbs.

The fifth wheel I am considering is a 2008 mountaineer 345 DBQ.  Listed dry weight for the camper is 11045 LBS.  This leaves 1855 LBS of room to stay legal.  That doesn't sound like much.

Weight of passengers will be about 600LBS.  I will have 70LBS of propane.  We travel very light and I never travel with water.  I guestimate another 750 LBS of "stuff" would be onboard the camper.  That would put me up to about  19400 Gross combined weight.

Most camping trips are within a couple hours of my house and I live in the praries so not a lot of hills to worry about.

Should I be considering this setup?  My current fifth wheel weighs about half of what this one does so I've never had to worry about weights before.

Comments? Thoughts?

From my experience I would say no!
Dry weights are totally meaningless.  Look at the trailers GVWR. That will be a far better indication of what sort of load you will be dragging around.  Next take 20% of that GVWR as pin weight.  Im guessing that number will be close to 3000 pounds.  Way too much for a 3/4 ton truck to carry.  Remember also that pin weight is loaded directly over the rear axle.  Possibly over loading the rear tires.  I fought this for two years until I upgraded to a dually.  There IS a world of difference in the towing experience.

Thats why I am asking questions.  20% of the GVWR rating of the trailer would be 2860LBS.  Rear axle rating of the truck is 6010 LBS.  Now I haven't weighed the truck so I have no idea what the weight on the rear axle is unloaded.

You will probably have about 3500 pounds on the rear end as you sit.  Add 3000 for hitch and pin and you will be over RAWR.  Like I said BTDT and it is no fun.  Get a bigger truck or set your sites on a trailer in the 10,000 pound GVWR range.

Just using your numbers of the GVWR of the trailer and the curb weight of your truck puts you over the GCWR by 1200 pounds. I agree with Donn, I would be looking for a bigger truck or lighter trailer.

I suspect you are underestimating the weight of gear in the trailer. It may be fairly close for the first trip, but stuff accumulates as you find you want more toys, or a better selection of foods, or more gear in the galley, etc.And there is always some water onboard, e.g. some left in the bottom of the tanks, the water heater is full, etc.  Weight just keeps adding up.

Remember also that passengers and gear in the truck counts against the GCWR and therefore the 600 lbs you mentioned for passengers has to be deducted from the tow capacity. Donn's point about the excessive rear axle load on the truck is also right on.

Bottom line is that you are really pushing the limits of this truck I wouldn't do it.

Thank you for your comments.  When I add up the numbers it seems like it should be close but thats why I ask.

I didn't think that the weight on the rear axle would be anywhere near 3500LBS unloaded.  The truck weighs 6900LBS and I had always thought it would have a good portion of the weight, ie 60 - 70% on the front axle.

And Gary I understand your comments about putting more stuff in the camper.  I guess with a camper that big it would be inevitable.

My dilema is I can get a really good deal on this camper and help out a friend in the process.  I don't really need or want a new truck as this one is hardly broken in.  I really don't need a camper this big either, would just like somethink a little more roomy than what I have.

I guess I will have some decisions to make.

That 6900 curb weight number you keep throwing around, is that from the sales brochure or is that a as scaled weight when the truck is loaded ready to go camping?
I am guessing it is from a brochure someplace.  To that number you MUST add full tank of fuel, people, dogs, tools etc, what ever you normally have on board for a trip.  Plus you forgot to add 250 pounds for the hitch, 350 pounds if you have a short bed and need a slider hitch.  My guess your truck loaded and ready to go will scale far closer to 7500 pounds than 6900 pounds.  With a 9000 GVWR you have very little room left over for much of anything.
FYI I did exactly the same thing back in 05 when we bought our fiver.  GVWR 13,500 pounds, hitched to the truck 3000 pin weight and 13,250 loaded ready to travel.  truck scaled 7500 pounds and hitched it scaled 10,500 pounds.  A whopping 1,300 over the trucks GVWR.  Pulled like a champ, but going around corners down hill was scary to say the least.  I fought the situation for two years until I decided enough was enough and traded a truck with 7900 miles on it for a dually and never looked back.  It is just not worth the stress and strain towing that much trailer with that little truck.

The 6900LB weight is Dodges listed curb weight for the truck fully fueled.  As far as what else is in the truck there is me and 3 kids and really nothing else.

You are correct, I didn't factor in the hitch, and it is a slider.

The more I do the math and think about things the worse of an idea it sounds like.  I really don't want a dually because this truck is my daily driver however it looks like that might be what I need if I'm going to consider this trailer.

Maybe I'll buy an older dually and another vehicle to get around with...

To be sure what your truck weighs, I suggest you take it to a scale and weigh it like you are going camping. Then you can add people, hitch etc. Also some trailer manufacturers do weigh the trailer when it leaves the factory with all the options, so you may get a real empty weight off it.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

Once you start actually weighing your trucks, it is hard to stay legal. I opt to stay safe and safe to me is addequate springs (I have added air bags) and addequate tires and wheels. My tires have proven to be my week link, but with 265/75/16 lr E rated at 3415 each @ 80psi I am very close totally loaded with 90 gallons of fuel on board. Use some fuel and I am ok. With that being said, I have 4500lbs on the front axle and when I loaded I have seen 7000 on the rear axle for short periods which puts me at 11,500 on a truck that is rated at 9200lbs. My truck handles perfect, but if I was ever in an accident a lawyer could have a field day with me. My 5er has a gvw of 11,500 for comparision.

I wouldn't use any the information of curb or dry weights...

Take a peek at my RV page and I've got all my scle weights there.
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27:2000-jayco-eagle-296-fbs&catid=17&Itemid=118

Take notice on my page the only thing I list is actual weight and max weight... There is no listing for curb or dry weight because it meaningless...

Back
Top Bottom