PWM and MPPT charge controllers together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ftroop82

Can I use a PWM and MPPT charge controllers together for one battery bank(2-6 volt)? I have an existing system 2-100 watt panels running to a Morningstar 45 amp PWM controller, I have recently picked up a 140 watt portable panel system and a Victron Bluestar MPPT 100 30 amp controller. I wanted to add the new portable to the MPPT and also to the battery bank.

Generally you can put more than one controller on a battery and they will cooperate, basically they'll both cut back to control the charge in absorb and float mode. Even if one "dominates" this is at a low power level and your battery will be happy. There might be some confusion though if either of the controllers is counting Ah, as there is an input that isn't accounted for. Given the modest/incremental advantage of MPPT at this power level you could just use the Morningstar for all the panels and keep things simpler. But if the portable system is just that, an autonomous panel and controller setup you connect and disconnect depending on the situation, there should be no problem with 2 controllers on a single battery.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Can I use a PWM and MPPT charge controllers together for one battery bank(2-6 volt)? I have an existing system 2-100 watt panels running to a Morningstar 45 amp PWM controller, I have recently picked up a 140 watt portable panel system and a Victron Bluestar MPPT 100 30 amp controller. I wanted to add the new portable to the MPPT and also to the battery bank.

yes, you can use multiple units, but I would not recommend mixing PWM and MPPT controllers.
If those panels are of the "12 Volt" type, that is, they have a Vmpp of 18 Volts then I would suggest you sell the morningstar and parallel all of them with the Victron unit, it's superior and will actually net you more wattage than the PWM unit. with a total of 340 watts at 12V you will have a max of 28 Amps. so it's well within the controllers spec. If you are considering expansion at a later date then you will require an additional MPPT controller, i would not recommend PWM for anything over 200 watts.

Can you mix monocrystalline and polycrystalline panels?
not advisable, you "can" combine them but the difference in voltage and especially the Isc ( their maximum current ) will degrade the string to the poorest performing panel. why mix and lose wattage ?better to keep them in separate arrays with their own controller, better still, only use one type..

I used a controller to resemblant charge my 16Ah 12V Lifepo4 battery with 2 100-watt solar panels. It powers my DIY swamp cooler off the grid all day. fully amazing. Thanks, Renogy for another great product. It's perfect for what I demanded. I've several Renogy MPPT regulators and now this PWM regulator is the same high-quality product.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Praise Bus
Back
Top Bottom