Queen size mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SUZYQT

Is there any reason that I can't replace my Short Queen mattress with a regular Queen size?

other than the fact a residential queen is 6 inches longer - so long as you have the room and a big enough base - otherwise the tail end will sag a bit, there is no reason why not - we did in our old trailer but the base it lay on was a little short so i extended it with a 1/2" piece of ply wood screwed to the existing base. Underneath was storage. we never felt the slight difference in high under our feet.

Regular Queen is 60"x 80" , I think, so just check with a tape measure that you will have enough clearance around the bed to suit you.  If so, go for it.  We did and no problems in our particular 5th wheel.
Your support platform will likely be 54" wide x 74" long, so you will get three inches overhang on each side and about 6" at the foot end.
Hard to give any other answer since you don't say what kind of RV you are dealing with and/or if the bed is a walk-around or one that fits up against one wall.
Good Luck
Gord

I'm thinking about buying a piece of foam to put between the mattress and the headboard.  I haven't gotten around to taking the measurements yet to confirm, but it looks like it would be about 5 inches in my case. 
I figured it would push the mattress to the correct effective length so that the sheets fit.

If the mattress isn't supported for that 6" it may be damaged if you sit on it there.

The PO installed a full size queen mattress and box spring in my coach, it is as comfortable as the one in  my home.  It does make it a little harder to get around the bed, but I'm ok with that.

I'm thinking about buying a piece of foam to put between the mattress and the headboard.  I haven't gotten around to taking the measurements yet to confirm, but it looks like it would be about 5 inches in my case.
I figured it would push the mattress to the correct effective length so that the sheets fit.

We did that some years back when we had a coach with the short, "camper" queen. Worked fine, and the extra overhang at the bottom was not a problem at all. I had planned to add an extension to the bed platform, but it turned out to be unnecessary.

Gary RV Roamer said:
We did that some years back when we had a coach with the short, "camper" queen. Worked fine, and the extra overhang at the bottom was not a problem at all. I had planned to add an extension to the bed platform, but it turned out to be unnecessary.

Same here.

We bought a queen short memory foam mattress the year we wintered in Yuma.  It was comparably priced with a regular queen, and we found it extremely comfortable.  We just didn't have the extra 6 inches between the bottom of the bed and the bedroom wall.

Ed

You also didn't say whether it's in a slide.  If it's in a bedroom slide and goes across rather than fore and aft, you might not have enough room to add.  If it's fore and aft, it's more likely to have enough space.  I've decided over the years that bed size is determined by what the manufacturer has to work with.  If there's enough room they might put in a larger mattress.  We have a side-to-side bed and added storage drawers on the outside passenger wall so the bed goes right up to the storage area so it would be impossible to add length to the mattress.  Also, our bed lifts up for storage and it wouldn't stay up on the struts if it were any longer than it is.  In this case, more length would affect the balance.

I'm thinking about buying a piece of foam to put between the mattress and the headboard.

We did that in a previous motorhome and it worked just fine.

ArdraF

If the primary reason for going to a standard queen is so standard fitted sheets will fit better, a $5 set of elastic "sheet garters" at Walmart will fix them at much less cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bullfrog1954
Back
Top Bottom