Question about cranking the trailer hitch up and down.....HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yesitsfree

We just bought a 2007 Hornet.  We towed to the campground this weekend to use for the season.  When DH tried to crank the hitch to get it off the ball on the truck it would not crank down.  He ended up getting a jack under the tongue to get it off the truck.  When he finally got it off and tried to crank it down again he was able to....sometimes it goes up and some times it won't.  Sometimes it goes down and sometimes it won't.  Any clue?????

Sounds to me like a bad jack, Crank up jacks (manual) do not often go bad but here are some possible issues

1: Jack handle to shaft, there may be a loose bolt or a shear pin

If it's a gear drive (handle is on the side) the gears are bolted or pinned  PLUS the gears themselves can go bad, brackets can bend so they do not engage properly. 

In all of these cases he should feel something "odd" when he cranks

The only other issue I have seen is a free spinning shaft,  I have this on my trailer when the jack wheel is not in contact with the ground, solution here is to hold wheel with toe till it hits the ground,  You see it spining around when it happens.

But there is not much that goes wrong with a manual jack

I agree with John but when it does go wrong the thing is a mess.   Time to replace the jack -- a simple enough job.   If you go that way, consider going to an electric jack if you travel around a lot.  It is a nice luxury and materially speeds up the hitching and unhitching process.

It's an 07  Take it to an authorized dealer and replace it under warranty.

Shayne said:
It's an 07  Take it to an authorized dealer and replace it under warranty.

Good catch Shayne.    I just plain overlooked that 2007 date.  By all means make the mfr make good.

Yes we will be calling the dealer for sure!  Dh wants an electric  one- wonder if he sabotaged  this one???  Anyways where would I look for an electric one?  I am the internet shopper-  he will just go get one with out price comparing.  That is my job.  How do I know what size etc???

yesitsfree said:
Yes we will be calling the dealer for sure!  Dh wants an electric  one- wonder if he sabotaged  this one???   Anyways where would I look for an electric one?  I am the internet shopper-  he will just go get one with out price comparing.  That is my job.  How do I know what size etc???

By all means get the poor chump an electric greatest thing since sliced bred,  Speeds the job materially, cuts way down on the cussing, and saves the old boy's energy for more of the chores on your list.   Other than the money, there is no downside.   Camping World sells the things.   To see one example, click HERE.   Ain't it neat.   ;D 

BTW remember that in the hitching process, the jack must lift the trailer's tongue weight and also part of the truck's weight as you tension the spring bears.  3000 lb capacity seems about right to me.  I use it with a Ford Bronco and a 4650 lb trailer.

Try to work out a deal with the dealer of choice.  If he warranties it  there is the installation dollars right there  So what if you have to pay a few extra bucks to have it done when the install is free.  JMHO

Make sure when you look for electric, you get one you can still crank up and down by hand when you need to. Dead batteries can ruin your day.

Ditto on the ELECTRIC Jack....I used a crank up for years, and when I got the electric one, ... well, let's just say it made life much easier! 

yesitsfree said:
Yes we will be calling the dealer for sure!  Dh wants an electric  one- wonder if he sabotaged  this one???  Anyways where would I look for an electric one?  I am the internet shopper-  he will just go get one with out price comparing.  That is my job.  How do I know what size etc???

Get him the electric jack!! I work part time at a dealership and part of my job is orientation and the other part is pre delivery inspections. I love the customers that have purchased the electric jack!!!! It makes the job so much easier. I just had a shoulder operation this winter and they found loose cartilage along with much of it missing on the joint. I know some of that was from all the cranking up and down of trailers I've done over the past 10 years!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDL
Back
Top Bottom