Question about Holiday Rambler Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveB

Hello gang...new to the forums here and I tried a search without finding what I'm after. We are looking at a Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD on a Workhorse chassis. This will be our second Class A coming from a 27' Empress Triple E. The Empress has "hardwall" construction, (gel-coat fibreglass I'm guessing) and a "rubber" roof. Both I believe are considered "high end".  Now the newer 2005 HR rig has an Aluminum roof and smooth aluminum exterior walls. The walls are not the old style extruded, ridged aluminum sheets, but are smooth like a gelcoat hardwall.

Finally, The Question: how durable are these aluminum walls and roofs? Will they stand up to minor hail as I know my current fibreglass hardwall rig will? This is fairly common in our area and I'd hate to be looking at a dimpled up rig after a little hailstorm.

Anything positive or negative about the HR Admiral would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Our 1997 Endeavor has aluminum sides and roof and is holding up just fine after 13 years.  But we try to avoid heavy hail storms :)  Hail big enough to damage the aluminum will do even more damage to skylights, vents, etc.

They used aluminum roofs and sides for a very long time.  I think the reason they started putting rubber on roofs was because it is easier and cheaper for the manufacturer.  I never had problems with my aluminum roof.

I've had both aluminum and my current TPO ("rubber") roof. 

The aluminum roof was on a class-c with a very flat roof which may have been partially responsible for some minor leaks that were very difficult to isolate and stop.

The TPO roof is 13 years old, very quiet during rain, still structurally sound and has never leaked.

I wouldn't be too quick to say that they are only used because they are easier to build and/or cheaper.

TPO and EPDM roofs have proven their worth in many applications.

Thanks for the responses so far fellas. The 2005 brochure from the HR website says the roof is "peaked aluminum"....that may help over an older flat aluminum roof.

We just purchased a second hand 2005 Holiday Rambler. I really inspected the roof and wall carefully as our last class c Triple EEE had an aluminum roof and it developed very bad leaks resulting in expensive repairs. The holiday Rambler looks like new with no signs of leaks at all. I can recommend Holiday Rambler.

Bill

The "peaked roof" means it is a little higher in the middle so that water runs off and doesn't collect in puddles on the roof.

Well, thanks for the replies crew....but I think we are going to pass on this rig. Nobody around here seems to have this style of rig. Gel-coat hardwall or painted fibreglass and soft-type roofs seem to be the norm. We get too many hail storms a season to have to worry about driving around in a golf-ball. Hehehe.

Probably a wise move if you live in an area where hail is common.  The HR's aluminum walls and roof are fine elsewhere, though. It is still used on their premium line, the HR Presidential.

We have a older HR class A with the same set up of alum roof and side panels. We live in North Texas where hail is quite common and our coach has never had a problem with the roof or a leak. There are a few dents on the roof from hail but no real damage.

Dents on the roof I can live with (as long as no leaks)....it's the blowing sideways hail that dents the sides that worries me. I still really like that rig....haven't found another so far that fits the bill.

I had a 94 HR Imperial for 7 year and 86,000 miles. Went thru many hail storms with no damage excep a few dings on the roof. The sides are fairly heavy aluminum back by luan.

ken

Thanks to the experiences and reassurances of you people who run rigs with this type of walls/roofs, and a little more digging on my part, we're going to put an offer on an 05 Safari Simba 30PDD this week. It's pretty much the same rig as the HR Admiral 30PDD...but I found this one with 13,000 miles and it's closer to us. Thanks for your help gang!

Back
Top Bottom