Question about Shuttle Launch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, no luck so far and I haven't heard from Miss Mermaid.  Any other ideas.  What about the Melbourne area?

Sheila

Sheila,

Where are you in FL? One option is to drive to the Miracle Mall in Titusville on US 1. It only has one or two stores still operating so the parking lot is empty except during the launch. Get there early and park the rig. Usually they let coaches stay in various areas for 24 hours before a launch. The mall should not be a problem.

Right across US 1 from the mall is an empty lot owned by the city. Many people watch it from there. After the launch you most likely will be able to stay the night. If you are not too far away you could wait for the traffic to clear and then head back. The launch is scheduled for 4:50pm.

had a nice narrative which disappeared when submitted (attachment was too large). Oh well. Moderator may remove this whine.

OK, the Mermaid resurfaced *SPLASH* and sent Sheila a PM about the campground in Titusville.  There are a few spots open as of Sunday night, unless the manager has them reserved, but this place does no advertising, has no website, so hopefully Sheila will get a spot in time for the launch.  8)

I am super excited to witness this part of history,yet sadly,  the end of an era.

I toured NASA, right after the Vertical Assembly  building was completed in the mid sixties.  At that time, the tour took us everywhere, there wasn't the 911 security mania of today.  I remember going inside and marveling at the world's tallest single story building, which at that time was also the tallest building in Florida. It has the largest doors in the world.  The building even has it's own indoor weather  with clouds sometimes forming inside the building.  :eek:

I don't recall anyone else being on the tour but my family, maybe my father pulled strings to get us in there, I just don't recall.  I remember it being pressed upon us that this was such an honor and a privilege to see this. I had to get up in class at school to talk about what we did last summer.  I remember my teacher was shocked and checked with my parents, to see if we really went there.

Ta ht is quite a building.  I got a private tour by one of the engineers I was working with.  He had been there for the Gemini and Apollo programs so really knew the whole base.  He took me places that were off limits and could have gotten in trouble if we had been caught.  The whole place has some history and mystic about it. 

I want to stop when we are in the area this spring and it would be nice to catch a launch of anything but especially a shuttle as I spent over 20 years working on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgnmgn11
Back
Top Bottom