Question on AC use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirdano

Me and wife are new to this but are looking for something that will tow behind a 4runner.
This will be assuming that no electric hook up at camp site.
1. Question what does the AC run off? Propane or Electric?
2. How long will it last if running off battery or propane

Thanks for any answers

Me and wife are new to this but are looking for something that will tow behind a 4runner.
That's pretty small, perhaps a pop-up? Depending on year and configuration, you might be able to tow around 4000 to 5000 pounds, max, and that's figuring the GVWR (max allowed vehicle weight of the trailer), not the so-called dry weight (useless figure) or unloaded weight. And we usually recommend no more than 80% of the manufacturer's rating to allow a margin for winds, hills, mountains, passing trucks, emergency maneuvers, etc.

You might just get away with something like the Trailmanor 2020SL: https://trailmanor.com/2720-series/ which is a hard-sided travel trailer (around 4200 lbs GVWR) that folds for travel, cutting wind resistance quite a bit and allowing it to be stowed in some garages. We used to have one (still belong to the club- great people), and it's a good trailer, though a tad more expensive than most competition because of the folding design.

In any case, Tom's right about the air conditioning -- you would need either a generator of sufficient capacity or to be plugged in to shore power to run most any air conditioner.

I was kind of surprised at my "new" 2014 Jeep only 2,000 pounds tow rating if I put a receiver on it.. I might get a PUP or a teardrop some day.. Don't know yet
(or a small something like a Scamp, had a SCAMP before I upgraded to a class A, liked it but need a few things different today)

Simple answer is when boondocking if you want air conditioning, then you need a generator, either that or several thousand dollars worth of solar panels and lithium ion batteries as well as a large inverter.

Simple answer is when boondocking if you want air conditioning, then you need a generator, either that or several thousand dollars worth of solar panels and lithium ion batteries as well as a large inverter.
And that solar stuff is certainly bigger and heavier than a 4 Runner can tow, and still would have a limited run time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom