Question on batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

Well, I made a big mistake.  Two weeks I went to the storage to check my unit that is in storage, but when I left I did not turn of the shutoff switch, some lights were on. Last week when I went back the batteries had no power.  I turned the generator for 30-40 minutes and got them charged 3/4 according to the red lights.  I turned off the power switch before leaving.  I went back yesterday and the batteries had no power.  Question, are the batteries ruined or do I need to try to recharge them for a longer time? Do I need new ones?

Ruined...Likely not but it would depend on what shape they were in to start with.

I would take them home and put them on a slow charge for 24 hours and then test them.

Best of luck

Well. kind of like the punch line of an old joke "Depends"

If you have MARINE/deep cycle (Really starting batteries) good chance they are toast
If you have DEEP CYCLE (like the GC-2 Pair Damon gave me.. Good chance they will recover but charge 'em ALL the way up. like 6 to 8 hours of charge time.

ANd not also "Chance" means exactly that. No guarantees.

The 3/4 you saw was likely the result of charger voltage reading. There is no way 30-40 minutes would give any charge at all to a dead battery. It takes MANY hours (24-48) to do that if the batteries are recoverable.

After a long charge take them to a battery dealer and have them load tested (usually free) and find out the truth about their state.

Back
Top Bottom