Question on Remote Desktop or similar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mavarick

I have not tried this before but it would be handy to use a program such as Remote Desktop occasionally to help a friend in another state with their computer. For those that have used Remote Desktop is there any freeware around that is easier to use, or another option besides RD? I just need to get into their desktop to find files and create shortcuts etc. All pretty basic stuff but it can be painful talking someone threw it over the phone. Just thought this might be a good option. Thx for any suggestions.

Thanks Dutch, I'll dig into that. Free and nothing required by the client is what I was looking for.

I've also used TeamViewer for years.  It's free for non-commercial use and doesn't require any installation on the remote end, just a small program to run.  Other options are the various flavors of VNC but none are any simpler than TeamViewer.

Been a fan of VNC for many many years, but always had access to the computers beforehand. Teamviewer looks to be much simpler.

I think the only small (very small!) downside to Team Viewer is that the remote party will get a pop-up when the program is closed, pitching the commercial paid product. It's easily dismissed though, and it's a small price to pay for an excellent tool.

I use Logmein for supporting family and other computers. While it requires installing a client on the target computers, it's free and does a good job. I haven't heard of Team Viewer. I'll take a look at it.

Good call Dutch thx. Team Viewer is just the ticket for a quick fix etc.

Just be careful with leaving RDP open if you don't really need it, an open port is an open port....

jje1960 said:
Just be careful with leaving RDP open if you don't really need it, an open port is an open port....
My solution for that is to put a strong password on the gateway/router, and move it up to a non-standard port using https.
I open, use, and close the ports as needed. One extra step but worth it IMO.

News today was about how the source code for an older versions of "PC Anwhere" was released to the hacker nets by a hacker...  Systemic says that it was an old version and thus would not help hackers to access modern versions, and they claim it was all part of a police sting.. but... Well..  Track down the story and read it for yourself.

Personally.. I'm a professional paranoid.. But this one does not worry me.

I don't use that product.

Story was reported on ArcaMax publishing's "Scienct and Tech" newsletter as I recall.

NY_Dutch said:
I think the only small (very small!) downside to Team Viewer is that the remote party will get a pop-up when the program is closed, pitching the commercial paid product. It's easily dismissed though, and it's a small price to pay for an excellent tool.

Yes, a small price indeed for software of that quality for free . . .  :)

Many download the free version and use it commercially. Teamviewer acknowledges this, but continues to do it because of the possibility of selling the commercial version. They tell me that they have ways of telling if used improperly but am not sure if they really can.

As mentioned, another product many use is logmein (www.logmein.com). Am told by some that also use the free version commercially that you can get more features in that free version than with TV.

I use and own a small business license for Teamviewer, so get a few more features than the free version - but still do not get all the features of the full blown commercial versions. I can do training sessions for up to three remote stations plus VoIP, but can only have the linkable version on one CPU at a time.

The main reason I chose Teamviewer over Logmein was that I could purchase and own a license good forever vs. all the rest have some type of monthly payment involved.

Teamviewer as well as Logmein can be loaded on a Pad "i" or others as well as iPhone or Droid platforms. The feature that I thought I was getting was the ability to log on to "any" computer, go to the TV website, enter my ID,PW and remote any other computer - including my own. I actually can, but get a nasty little message that I cheated on my contract.

But as Ned mentions -- TV is an incredible product and saves me literally hours of help desk time with clients around the country vs. doing it on the phone or via email. Am actually in a park right now that uses my SW. After hours I don't need to have a key to the office to work on their machine - just do remote at any time of the evening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom