Question on Wiring Gauge to DC Side of the Distribution Panel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

Hello, I have just installed our compost toilet and ready to hook up the wiring for the fan and agitator motor. In the past when I have done this, I have connected the wiring to a fuse block I installed in a convenient location. This time around I am entertaining the idea to connect to one of the empty spaces on the distribution panel. My question is, the fan wiring from the toilet is 22-gauge and the wire run to the panel is no more than 5', is it acceptable to connect 22-gauge wire to the distribution panel?

I would use nothing less than 18 gauge and preferably 16 gauge. This is for durability of the wire, and yes, having enough wire to terminate at the 12v fuse panel. Are these screw terminals where the wire goes under a "pinch" plate that the screw holds down?

If the wire is not run in an existing bundle, I use split wire loom material to protect it. I buy 1/4 inch split loom sleeve in a box of 50 ft from NAPA, good quality stuff. If running in an existing bundle I make sure it is clamped and tied properly.

Depending on the terminals, use either U terminal ends or buy a ferrule kit and do it that way. I have re-terminated all of the wires on my 12v DC fuse panel and on my ground bar also.

Pics tell the story. White ground wires jammed into the ground bar, loose and flayed strands. Installed ferrules, then staggered the wires in the terminals after remounting the ground bar. Previously I installed a new fuse panel and just inserted the wires under the retainer plates. When I pulled it apart, I found flayed wire strands. All wires were terminated with U spade terminals that FIT the space in the terminal under the retainer plate.

Note that I did not use the ferrules with insulated sleeves, as I needed longer ones. I ordered several sizes from Ferrules Direct. The crimpers and box of insulated sleeves came from Amazon.

Charles

Attachments

• Ferrule inst ground bar before.jpg
    Ferrule inst ground bar before.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Ferrule inst ground wires all done hex crimps.jpg
    Ferrule inst ground wires all done hex crimps.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Ferrule inst ground bar inst completed.jpg
    Ferrule inst ground bar inst completed.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 11
  • Ferrule inst dc fuse panel wire strands folded out before.jpg
    Ferrule inst dc fuse panel wire strands folded out before.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Ferrule inst dc fuse panel spade connectors.jpg
    Ferrule inst dc fuse panel spade connectors.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Ferrule inst dc fuse panel FINAL version with spade connectors.jpg
    Ferrule inst dc fuse panel FINAL version with spade connectors.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Ferrule inst dc fuse panel fuse legend index card.jpg
    Ferrule inst dc fuse panel fuse legend index card.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Ferrule inst hex crimping tool.jpg
    Ferrule inst hex crimping tool.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 13
I would use nothing less than 18 gauge and preferably 16 gauge. This is for durability of the wire, and yes, having enough wire to terminate at the 12v fuse panel. Are these screw terminals where the wire goes under a "pinch" plate that the screw holds down?

If the wire is not run in an existing bundle, I use split wire loom material to protect it. I buy 1/4 inch split loom sleeve in a box of 50 ft from NAPA, good quality stuff. If running in an existing bundle I make sure it is clamped and tied properly.

Depending on the terminals, use either U terminal ends or buy a ferrule kit and do it that way. I have re-terminated all of the wires on my 12v DC fuse panel and on my ground bar also.

Pics tell the story. White ground wires jammed into the ground bar, loose and flayed strands. Installed ferrules, then staggered the wires in the terminals after remounting the ground bar. Previously I installed a new fuse panel and just inserted the wires under the retainer plates. When I pulled it apart, I found flayed wire strands. All wires were terminated with U spade terminals that FIT the space in the terminal under the retainer plate.

Note that I did not use the ferrules with insulated sleeves, as I needed longer ones. I ordered several sizes from Ferrules Direct. The crimpers and box of insulated sleeves came from Amazon.

Charles
Thank you Charles, this helps. Nice work on your wire project.

Measure the CURRENT draw.. Then go to a wire size chart.. or just a fan 22 is likey enough if it's a small fan. but I"m an 'overbulder" so if the chart says say 22 would do I'd go 18

Where weight is not an issue, like in a ground vehicle I opt for a common wire size. 16ga is probably the minimum I would use on RVs and trailers.

Charles provided a great summary. I personally prefer ring terminals over spades even though spades are easier to install and remove.

Minimum 18ga wire. Solder the 22 and 18ga together and protect it with heat shrink and secure the spliced area leaving a loop to the fan. A 22 would be questionable in a crimp connector. I have taken ring connectors and clipped a slot in them just big enough to slide onto the screw. Still has about 80% contact area.

Where weight is not an issue, like in a ground vehicle I opt for a common wire size. 16ga is probably the minimum I would use on RVs and trailers.

Charles provided a great summary. I personally prefer ring terminals over spades even though spades are easier to install and remove.
Thank you and I agree. I have 16 gauge on order and have an assortment of ring terminals.

Most of your RV is most likely wired with 14 gauge primary wire, so there is nothing wrong with that.

Ring terminals are certainly OK but in the specific case of the terminal strip on my fuse panel, the screws are crimped on the back so they cannot be fully removed. (and all the pieces lost :rolleyes: ) The serrated plates they push down on will grip the spades very securely. (don't put the spades under the screw head, but rather, under the square serrated plate).

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holtt
Back
Top Bottom