Questions about Forest River and Forest River Seirra 372LOK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronniebellie

From what I've learned about Forest River, of which I own the Sandpiper model from them, is that quality of build is directly implied by purchase price. In other words, a more expensive model will be far better built then a less expensive model. One would think that same plant workmanship would be identical across all models, and the difference between cost would be size and frills, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Forest River. Stuff that is glued or otherwise poorly secured on mine, like drawer assemblies, molding and like, are done so much better on my friend's Georgetown. Like, by 2 totally different companies.

Otherwise I am very happy with this thing.

I've learned that you can get a good-or bad RV with any brand. The one you're looking at is moderately priced. Forest River makes similar floor plans in more expensive models. The more expensive ones are very similar to your choice but have a few more amenities. Some parts (tires/brakes for example) are occasionally upgraded but most of the appliances and heater/air conditioners are generally the same. When you get right down to it, you might improve your chances marginally but there are no assurances. The floorplan and what you can afford are probably the most important issues. Forest River has its detractors but so does everyone else. Again, they can build a good trailer but they don't always.
Bob

We picked up our new 2016 Forest River Wildwood 36 BHBS in October, and it is our first and last Forest River.
We got the Lemon of Lemons.
I would never buy  another, and if you are buying by the floor plan which is what we did, I would advise you to go over the entire construction with a fine tooth comb.
Thankfully, we have this in a permanent location, because I know if we were to tow it  a  hundred miles, it would be falling apart.

Jack L

At the opposite end of the discussion, my 13 year old Cedar Creek has been nearly flawless.  The problems I have had have all been age/use related, not poor QC or design from the factory.
To answer the OPs basic question, they are no worse or better than any other mfg.  FR western division does not really have a stellar reputation.  They can turn out good and bad just like every other mfg.  You might look at Cedar Creek division.  I think you might find a Silverback about the same price and much more trailer

We owned a 2008 Forest River Rockwood Ultra lite and were generally pleased.  There were a few problems with leaks around windows and compartments due to poor quality of work but overall it did OK.  After pulling it for 5 years and lots of miles, including a trip to Alaska, the floor started to have soft spots which got a lot worse over a period of a few months.  We sold the unit through PPL in Houston with full disclosure and were pleased with the results.  Since then we've had two Keystone Cougar XLites.  Those have been very good units with no problems at all.  The 2016 model we have now is a year and a half old and has been pulled 13,000 miles.

JackL said:
We picked up our new 2016 Forest River Wildwood 36 BHBS in October, and it is our first and last Forest River.
I would never buy  another, and if you are buying by the floor plan which is what we did, I would advise you to go over the entire construction with a fine tooth comb.
Thankfully, we have this in a permanent location, because I know if we were to tow it  a  hundred miles, it would be falling apart.

Jack L

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. In what way was your Forest River a lemon?

My biggest complaint with current FR products is that when the kitchen is in the slide out, there is almost always carpet under the stove! Who would think that is a good idea???? :eek:  The only one I have seen that has been made without the carpet is the Cedar Creek Hathaway addition, CK2.  I love that one, but would like to have more floor plan options. 

First post.  Ron, my wife and I walked thru the trailer you like.  Nice unit!  We ended up buying the Vengeance 320A 5th Wheel Toy Hauler.  We're retired and have a bike and ATV to take south to play with.  Thanks for asking about the quality of the build..good question.  Will be watching for replies.  Les

JackL said:

Jack L

We also have a 2014 Wildwood Xlite 174BH, Have had issues with A/C, Tires, and now Axles, how about you?

I stand strongly on what I said in the third post on this thread. I've read the same issues multiple times on multiple threads on multiple forums about multiple brands. You're doing yourself a disservice by honing in on one company and demonizing them IMHO.
Bob

Bob, Thank you for your comments. But for anyone to not share any negative experience about a particular model and manufacturer would be a kind of censorship. Yes, in this case this particular thread focuses on experiences with a particular manufacturer, but as you said other threads speak of other manufacturers and experiences with poor workmanship. One of the reasons I joined this forum is because I wanted to read about real experiences, good and bad, from actual owners of 5th wheel RVs because my wife and i are looking to buy a 5th wheel soon and go full-time. I don't think that sharing actual experiences is "demonizing" a particular manufacturer.

Thank you again for your thoughts. Your points are very thought provoking.

I'm sorry, I meant "You're" in a generic sense. I see now that it looks as though I meant you specifically. Just trying to remind everyone to not put too much credence on a few bad apples ? or, more accurately, lemons ?.?
Bob

Back
Top Bottom