Questions on possible tire replacement or rim conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SyrenSkywolf

I posted this on another forum without much help so far.

Next Saturday, we will have a 1978 Dodge Tioga (we are trading for it with our labor, and we are almost done). Anyway, it has 16.5x8 tires on it. I normally look at the ages of the tires, but the few chances I have had to glance at them, I haven't been able to locate the date code (was always able to easily find on trailers we have looked at).

My questions are:

1. All the tires look great (no cracking/checking) except for the front passenger side, and rear-outer passenger side tire, which I believe was exposed to the sun a lot when not in use. Assuming the dates are within acceptable range, would it be plausible to take the inner dually from the passenger side, put it on the front, and get two tires for the dually?

2. If I did a conversion to a more popular rim size, what size(s) would cost the least per tire, and would fit on our (soon to be) motorhome? What vehicles could they come off of (make/model/years) and still work, if you know this? I would be looking around/posting on Craigslist/bulletin boards, so the more I know, the better. I'd be looking for used tires for these as well (again, within acceptable age range).

We are moving to finally return to college (200 miles away) in August, and am mainly looking at the cheapest, yet safe way to go about this until next year, when I should be able to do a complete change on the tires. I am not overly concerned with the ride or handling right now, as I have had my fair share of "interesting" rides before, and this isn't something we are planning on taking on long trips soon, so price is more of a concern for us.

Also, the outer-rear passenger tire isn't as bad as the front one, mostly weather checking. The front one, however, has some cracks near where the sidewall meets the tread. If I kept it under a certain speed, do you think they would make it 40 miles to get it home without any huge consequences? Or would I definitely need to take care of the tires first/be towed?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated on these!

I have done this change on other vehicles before and the best swap was to go to a LT235/85R16 tire.  You need to know the bolt circle size and number of studs to find the correct wheel.  They are normally expressed like 8 on 6" circle for example.  I think most 8 stud wheels are the same because they are usually Spicer(Dana) or Rockwell axles.

On a dual, keep the tires paired (same size and wear), so that they are essentially one big wheel. It is also best to have the duals on either end of the axle identical to avoid stress on the rear end gears. That says best practice is to replace all 4 rears at once, but a short budget may mean you have to do less than "best".
As for going 40 miles on the old tires, what I can I say? It's a risk - they may last a mile or they may last 1000 miles. No way of guessing.

What chassis is the motorhome on?  I had a 1970 Executive on a Dodge M400 chassis with the same size tires and wheels.  I looked into rim conversions and new tires and it was going to be very expensive as the wheels had to be custom drilled for the old pattern, but mine 5 lug with massive lugs.  Parts for brakes were also a huge issue as many of them were no longer made.

I own a 1978 Dodge Mobile Traveler Class C. It's been sitting for 4-5 years. I just finished replacing the left rear brake shoes which were rusted to the drum. OReilly Auto Parts have all of the parts you will need for your Tioga. I replaced my 6 tires 9 years ago for about $450.00.  I would stay with the tire  size that you have. The tires aren't that costly.  Mine has the 360 v-8.  I'm taking it to Mississippi (300 miles) in 2 weeks to give it to my daughter.  If I were you, I would put your 2 best tires on the front, and drive the speed limit. Enjoy your Tioga.  Eddie Elk.

From what I've read just about everywhere, the 16.5's are harder to find. Am I just reading bad advice?

And I wouldn't drive the speed limit around here in the MH around here. Montana, land of the 75mph speed limit :p

As for the chassis, according to decoding the vin, it is a MB400 with a 440 in it. I read somewhere that the Tiogas in this age range had Dana40 (I believe) axles, and that they should have 8x6.5 lug setup.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions so far!

I would consider 2 new on the front at least. ALL of them if budget allows like Gary said they could go for miles or could go for feet before you have problems. I would not want to go through a blow out again on the front once in a lifetime was enough for me. I KILLED my budget to replace tires cuts down on camping for awhile but when we do go I won't be worried about OLD tires.

I'm curious to know where I could find 6 new tires for $450 lol. $75 each sounds like cheap passenger class Walmart tires.

Anyone know of what speeds to drive would give me the best odds of making it that 40 miles?

The speed your drive will have nothing to do with the tire giving out. I have a 74 Dodge Rockwood. It had really old tires on it when I bought it 3 years ago. I did not know to look at date codes. tires had no cracks and amazing tread depth drove it home about 15 miles at 60 mpg. the RV then sat all summer while we rebuilt the camper. drove it to the storage place for the winter about 100 miles away drove at about 50 mpg. in the spring we drove it across town to have 6 new tires put on was never over 30 miles an hour lost 3 tires on the way. one of the inners came off the rim but did not blow one of the front had less then 9 pounds in when I got to the tire shop.
Oh and the tires had been made sometime in the 80's !!!!

BTW tire rack show stock of the tires as well but are around the 160 mark.

I had the same issue. I called around and found that Firestone carries the  16.5 x 8.5    not much differance in size and they carry it in a bias tire as well as a steel belt.

The age of the tires is extremely important. You have to find that out. If they are seven (7) years or older, do not trust them. Put new ones on.

Back
Top Bottom