Quickee Step Failure Imminent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

Attached are two pictures showing what's happening to GroovinGrandpa's Quickee Step.

We tried everything short of removing the Step to get enough leverage on the arm to line up the holes and push the pin back in.  No luck.

Anybody dealt with this before?

Attachments

• IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 52
I haven't seen that particular problem, but I have replaced parts on my steps a couple of times. I suspect you're going to have to remove some parts to get the tension from the motor off of the pin before you can get the pin back in place.  Before doing that, be sure to disconnect the power lead from the motor so that it doesn't activate  when you are not expecting it ... that could be a very painful experience. Hard to tell,  but it appears in the pictures that the pin may be bent.  And, of course, you need to figure out why the pin came out in the first place and fix that so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks.  I don't think the pin is bent, or not bent very much.  It was originally held in place by a simple cotter pin and a washer.

I'm worried that if I disconnect any of the mechanical parts I won't be able to put them back because of the tension.

Problem on mine was the linkage coming apart ... poor mfg process that doesn't properly secure the rivet. I have had to replace that part twice in the past 10 years.  You can see it here https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Kwikee-379648-PRE-IMGL-909504000/dp/B002SSEUUI

I did have to remove the step the first time as I couldn't figure it out lying on my back on the ground and looking up. Removing & replacing the step was not difficult ... just 4 bolts as I recall. Disconnect power, and support the step as it comes loose. Then I could turn it over and figure out what I was doing.

IF there is nothing obviously bent or out of place in the mechanism, perhaps a small jack can push it up enough to reinstall the pin?

Just speculating, as our coach doesn't have a moving step.  Which I like overall. 

It appears that the receiver for the pin,(the ears) are bent apart,, you could hammer the "ears" toward one another to make them parallel.  This would remove some of the load on the pin.>>>Dan

you will need to loosen the motor/gearbox to take the pressure off,pull the pin and straighten the parts then reassemble. once you relieve the pressure it will be easy.

Back
Top Bottom