R/C or full scale pilots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malexander

Any R/C or full scale pilots out there?

I've been a R/C pilot/modeler since 1974. Had my private pilot license since 1977.
I live on a private airport just outside Oklahoma City. The runway is lighted & is 30' X 2700' concrete, We have our own hangar next to the house.
My brother & I are 50/50 owners of a Cessna 150 and recently inherited our dads 172 when he passed. I'm currently building a Rans S19 Venterra.
We fly our models on/at the airport.

I actually got the idea for this thread from another forum, but unfortunately, I can't go there anymore. So I thought it's be nice to start one here.

I've got a quad, a fixed pitch copter, and a collective copter, plus a couple of palm sized quads for indoors. I also have commercial, instrument, multi, glider and expired CFII (quit flying a few years back).

I got my PPL in '83. My son is in the process of getting his.

Spend my Saturdays with a group at the airport (P52). We're active in the EAA Young Eagles/Eagles program.

The first EAA Eagle in the U.S. to get his PPL got his Eagle ride from our group. We're real proud of him.

Put a go pro on my glider, flying over Surfside resort in Parksville BC:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft99Z8sEffg

I'm an R/C pilot; my dad was and my brother is a full scale pilot, but I never caught that bug.  I've crashed too many planes via pilot error to ever put my or my family's lives in my hands. :)

I was in a great flying club in MN, but since I relocated to IL 6 years ago, the planes have just hung on my garage wall.  I really need to get back up in the air.  Technology seems to be moving rapidly past me.  Although spread spectrum was gaining traction when I fell away from the hobby, it appears that FM radios are hardly sold at all now.

I've crashed too many planes via pilot error to ever put my or my family's lives in my hands. :)

There's a BIG difference in the controllability and in the accuracy of control between RC and full scale aircraft. That, with the training you must get in full scale (and tests to pass to ensure your skill) make a giant difference, kind of like the difference between RC and full scale cars, only much more so.

Larry N. said:
There's a BIG difference in the controllability and in the accuracy of control between RC and full scale aircraft. That, with the training you must get in full scale (and tests to pass to ensure your skill) make a giant difference, kind of like the difference between RC and full scale cars, only much more so.

I understand, Larry.  My brother was a CFI (as well as an ATC) before losing his medical after a heart attack.  I have flown a number of times with him guiding me through takeoffs, landings, etc.  It's just that I know I am prone to mental lapses in many of the things I do and the consequences in that arena are very great.  That, combined with the fact that my passions (and therefore my budget) lie elsewhere, kept me out of full-scale flying.  I wasn't trying to be a downer, just making an observation about my own experience and thinking.

BTW, not sure if that's a Super Cub in your avatar, but my brother has a J-3.  (Still has a Light Sport license)

That's an L-21, Scott, the military version of the Super Cub. J-3s are sweet, but rather weak here in Denver (especially with two on board).

Certainly if your interests are elsewhere, and especially if you have "mental lapses," then it sounds as if you've used excellent judgement in sticking with only RC.

Private Pilot, ASEL, Instrument Airplane since 1984.
Owned a couple of aircraft (Beech Sundowner, Piper Arrow) but have been inactive for over 10 years. As they say, though, "Once a pilot, always a pilot".
Made my living in the retail hobby business from childhood through age 50, but never had an interest making RC my own hobby.

Actually, since flying full scale, it seems to give me the feel "in the seat of my pants" what of the model is doing when flying r/c.

Larry N. said:
I've got a quad, a fixed pitch copter, and a collective copter, plus a couple of palm sized quads for indoors.

And a sweet Flight Simulator he let me fly one day !  :)  ;D

Howard

vmax1 said:
Put a go pro on my glider, flying over Surfside resort in Parksville BC:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft99Z8sEffg

I'm building a Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub, been working on it off & on for 33 years. ;D My wife got it for me for our 1st or 2nd anniversary. I'm going to put the GoPro in it.

malexander said:
I'm building a Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub, been working on it off & on for 33 years. ;D My wife got it for me for our 1st or 2nd anniversary. I'm going to put the GoPro in it.
Sweet. I've always wanted to build a BUSA 1/3 scale Cub. I've built a Great Plane 1/5 scale Cub, which is a blast on floats.

Howard R said:
And a sweet Flight Simulator he let me fly one day !  :)  ;D

Howard

And will again if you get back this way, Howard. To clarify, that sim was Microsoft FSX with a nice joystick/throttle and TrackIR (for head movement/looking around). I say was because a couple of years ago I switched to Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3d, based on the same sim engine as FSX, but with better performance and other enhancements. And my current controls are the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS.

I also now have the Phoenix RC sim that works with a Spektrum DX-4 or better to practice RC flying- it's pretty good, and it helped me a lot, especially with the Blade 130X collective copter. I can even practice it with the DX-6i I now use.

I'm thinking about getting into RC flying this summer. I have a plane just need the courage to try and fly it. I understand that you all need to register your planes with the government. Is that right or is it just for drones?

Rene-

What type of plane do you have?  I'm guessing a small electric? 

I would encourage you to find an experienced RC pilot to instruct you, at least for the maiden flight, so that it doesn't become a huge disappointment for you.  Even if you have a good idea of what you are doing and the plane is a docile trainer, maiden flights are a challenge.  For one thing, people don't realize that RC planes don't automatically fly straight right out of the box.  After you get up in the air, a plane that looks "straight" on the ground may bank hard one way or the other once in the air.  You then have to adjust the trim tabs on the radio to compensate.  It's also possible the trim tabs won't be able to be adjusted enough to compensate.  Then you need to land and make adjustments to the control surfaces on the plane.

Bottom line, with all this going on, it is easy for the beginner to become overwhelmed, lose control and crash.  It's also easy to become disoriented and not know whether the plane is upright or inverted, coming at you or going away, etc.

It is a tremendously enjoyable hobby once you get started.  (Gee, I really need to start flying again.  Maybe this summer.)

Hi, I keep threatening to get into rc, but never have seriously made the leap. I hold CSMEL, I, and CFI plus about 30 hr glider time (never bothered with the check ride).

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom