Radiator addative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIGGS

Hello. I have heard that there is some additives you put in your radiator to lower the running temp.You are suppose to be able to add it to antifreeze or half water or straight. It is said to lower the temp 20 - 30 degrees. I have talked to two drag racers and one swears by it and says it has dropped his temp. about 20-25 degrees. The other says it has only dropped 10 degrees. Has anyone tried it in a motor home ? It may be different driving more than a quarter mile at a time.I am sorry I can't remember the name of the products. also heard syntactic oil will lower the running temp all though just a couple degrees. If you have any info please write
thanks jiggs

Not sure all the knowledgeable gents and gals will agree with me but I never put anything in my 460 Ford with Bank Pak but Mobile 1  Been using it for years in everything I have that is a gas powered vehicle.  Superb product in my estimation.  Dont' buy Mobile gas but sure like their oil.

Jiggs:

I don't know what kind of chassis you have but Freightliner is emphatic about not adding anything to their coolant except approved SCAs.

Our last gasser was a Ford with the 460. Never had a problem with overheating so never did anything but flush and replace coolant.

A good flushing every 3 years and complete change of fluids and hoses does wonders for longevity of any engine.  I don't drive anything but Ford gassers and that's my method.  It's been very successful and I'm too stuborn to change.  have drive several vehicles in excess of 300,000 miles without ever having engine problems.  Also the Mobile 1 will help in cooling the engine.

I had the motor completely overhale .I had no problems keeping it cool before and right after the rebuild. After about 1000 miles it would run hot. i would say an 230 average on long runs. Of course this is right after the warranty ran out. what i found was the radiator hoses would colapse even with springs inside top or bottom hose. A mechanic put a new fan on which did help. He also checked the temp in the rad. twenty degrees different top to bottom. Which is not bad at all. I put on stainless steel flex hose top and bottom. Help more than anything. It is explained to me that in the maching of the rebuild there was a oops. What is the oops I don't know It know will run up to 220 -225 on hard pulls [ up hills or a heavy foot ] I would like to get the temp down a littlebit more some how
thanks jiggs

It's called Redline Water Wetter, and it does work.  I use it in my racebikes (antifreeze is not allowed in race bikes and most race cars as it's incredibly slippery and nearly impossible to clean off the track without a pressure washer).  I use it in my 1995 Jayco class C and it seems to keep the needle on Ford's stock "idiot gauge" out of the red better on long climbs than a standard water & antifreeze mix.

The science is there -- we're not talking "mystery oil" here.  Redline makes very good high-end, mostly race-oriented synthetic oils and lubricants.  A bottle of Water Wetter is less than $10, so it would be a pretty cheap experiment to see if it works for you.

Hatman52,

Yes, Redline makes some great products. It should be noted that you still need regular antifreeze in the MH motors in the normal concentration.

Regarding racing bikes, you're dead on about the antifreeze problem, but even worse is that you use synthetic oil in those rice burners. That stuff is REALLY wicked slippery. We have a chemical to remove it, but the red flag time is considerably longer than with regular oil. Last year for AMA, one guy sprayed it at my corner and in the space of about 2 seconds, I had 6 bikes down. Fortunately it was a relatively slow corner and nobody high-sided.!

Hey Karl:

No rice burner here -- I race spaghetti benders! (Ducatis)? Pretty much every internal combustion engine that sees time on the racetrack uses synth oil these days.? But you can crash just as fast in the old dino-based stuff.? ?;)? Oil dry seems to work okay on both types, but, as you well know, it pretty much takes a pressure washer to clean up antifreeze.

Saw that bike let loose watching the RA race on Speed.

BTW, thanks for the work you and all the corner workers out there do -- the show couldn't go on without you.? ?:)

BTW, thanks for the work you and all the corner workers out there do -- the show couldn't go on without you.
Thanks for that, but we wouldn't do it if we didn't enjoy it! I have a white sweatshirt with a picture of a bike becoming individual parts again that says "As a matter of fact, we DO come for the crashes!". We may joke around a bit, but any crash is treated very seriously and handled in as professional a way as we can. Unfortunately, we did have a fatality the week before AMA at a riders school.

Here is a good site on radiator additives.....

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0607htp_cooling_system_buyers_guide/

Thanks len and jo. That was a helpful site. I don't see why it would make any difference from a ford to a gm.
Thanks again  jiggs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsWebster
Back
Top Bottom