Radio communications between RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we convoy we use handhelds. The limitation is when you get separated too far and/or are in hill country. Then the backup plan is cell phone.

I agree with Mark that randomly communicating with other RV-ers is going to be a very rare thing. I rarely see more than one or two other RVers on the road, headed where I am headed. But if you want a distraction of some type and don't know what to buy for your RV next then go ahead.

I get traffic from my GPS so that's not needed and in fact the GPS has rerouted my hundreds of times either automatically or I have forced it based on traffic.

The GPS also pretty reliably points out "smokies" and their speed traps as well. So two of the bigger reasons to have a CB have been covered well. It's not 1975 any more - LOL...

The idea you'll just be driving along and having random encounters with other RVer's via any communication medium while underway is somewhere between very unlikely to nil.
Another factor is that the additional mental workload when driving a large coach or pulling a large trailer when in heavy traffic or not on an Interstate reduces the attention available for radio usage beyond occasional listening.

I'd note, too, that (at least on my handheld CBs) I rarely hear trucks on CH 9/19 (or anywhere), even in heavy traffic or when a crash or other obstruction backs up traffic.

CB on 19. even if it's just a receiver.. I've had it tell me of things I truly needed to know a few times.. Once I was able to exit and spend a nice restful evening/night and continue on after breakfast and 2 fatal accidents closing the freeway were cleared. Another time it told me to SLOW DOWN in time to avoid wrinkling fenders.. Others were not as lucky I ended up taking them home since I was going their way and had the room in my wife's van.. And more... That last one more than paid for the radios. The Photo is a EXmax EXD-737 Pocket receiver. AM/FM Shortwave Ham, CB USB charged
You extend the antenna for most modes and it comes with a clip on "long wire"

Receive only 70 bucks as I type
I use it for other things (5085 KHz Short wave) but I have Channel 19 programmed in.
You do need to know the frequency or you can "Scan the band" as well. Has memories too.

Attachments

• WIN_20220712_07_42_53_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220712_07_42_53_Pro.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1
I do admit that CB RO (Recieve only) not often needed but when it is. Its nice

Goign down I-75 in KY long about mm 77 I heard of not one but two Fatal accidents at MM 73.. Took Exit76 and had a nice restful night.

Was coming home from Parents house on I-94 near Dimondale MI when I heard of a semi on it's side. Started slowing down.. Stopped at the spot where there were 2 cars in the ditch.. Sheltered the occupants (large van held over a dozen people if needed) till the Deputy arrived to write up half the accident (other half made it to the next exit. A T/A truck stop in Diamondale) NOTE it was a black ice situtation had I not stopped when I did.. OUCH. The CB gave me effective warning.
There have been a few other times I was glad I had it but those were the two big ones.

I had to travel Cincinnati to Louisville about 4 times a month when I was working. I could not believe how often there was a semi overturned somewhere.

The GPS always alerted the traffic and I learned a lot of KY back roads.

I had to travel Cincinnati to Louisville about 4 times a month when I was working. I could not believe how often there was a semi overturned somewhere.

The GPS always alerted the traffic and I learned a lot of KY back roads.

You have a point but when I'm running I-75 from Flint Mi to somewhere south of Tennessee.. I don't really use GPS that much... Same when running from parent's house to mine back when parents were alive... (Also GPS was not so developed back then)
Now when I'm traveling "I ain't never been down this road before" Yup. GPS lets me know about stuff.
Did that a couple weeks ago. Oh I've been down those roads before but never that path.. And the destination did not exist last time I went that way. (nice new building.. Michigan State Police Headquarters and Lansing Regional Communications Center.. Never been there.. Have been to the old HQ but never the new one before).

You have a point but when I'm running I-75 from Flint Mi to somewhere south of Tennessee.. I don't really use GPS that much... Same when running from parent's house to mine back when parents were alive... (Also GPS was not so developed back then)
Now when I'm traveling "I ain't never been down this road before" Yup. GPS lets me know about stuff.
Did that a couple weeks ago. Oh I've been down those roads before but never that path.. And the destination did not exist last time I went that way. (nice new building.. Michigan State Police Headquarters and Lansing Regional Communications Center.. Never been there.. Have been to the old HQ but never the new one before).
I use the GPS every time I travel down I45 to my parents. I don't use it for 'how to get there', but it's been a life saver with the traffic. I turn off the turn-by-turn voice directions and only use it when it pops up that there's been an accident.

Saved me 15 minutes due to construction this last trip.

Back
Top Bottom