Ready Brute Elite Modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water Dog

The last few times towing our Jeep using the Ready Brute tow bar I've noticed that the vinyl covered brake cable has been rubbing on the edges of the bracket during turns and has rubbed the vinyl off. It concerned me that as this continues to happen that it would fray the brake cable. I decided to build a mini fair lead for the cable to go around to avoid the abrasion. I went down to the local Ace Hardware and bought a pair of 1" aluminum spacers and a couple of 10/32 stainless bolts. I used a piece of 1/2 x 1/2 square steel tube, and a piece of 1/2 x 1/2 steel angle and welded them to the factory bracket to hold the spacers. Looking forward to trying it out in a couple of weeks to see if it will hold up.  ;D 

Attachments

• RBM 1.jpg
    RBM 1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 80
  • RBM 2.jpg
    RBM 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 68
Nice looking job Dennis. Can't imagine that not holding up.

SargeW said:
Looks awesome Dennis! Interesting though, my Ready Brute tow bar never had a vinyl cover on the cable. Did yours come that way?

Yes it did. Have you had any rubbing issues on yours? We seem to wind up coming down windy mountain roads a lot. That may have something to do with our issue.

If I did, I didn't notice it as the cable on mine was just bare cable.  It never frayed though. Even going to Alaska last year on those crappy roads.

Dennis, I checked mine the other day and it is rubber coated and the rubber is worn off as you indicated. Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like I have another project, a rather important one, before I take off again.

I just got the Ready Brute Elite a few weeks ago, and after maybe 1300 miles of towing have noticed the same issue.  The cable itself seems undisturbed.  My guess is that the rubber gets strained and torn due to bumpy roads which can create some vigorous up/down motions on the tow bar - I've noticed the brake indicator flicker more than once when encountering a sharp bump, usually on a secondary road.  If the issue is in fact caused by up/down motion, the spacers on the side may not be sufficient.  Please keep us posted.  ...  Steve

NCsleeves said:
I just got the Ready Brute Elite a few weeks ago, and after maybe 1300 miles of towing have noticed the same issue.  The cable itself seems undisturbed.  My guess is that the rubber gets strained and torn due to bumpy roads which can create some vigorous up/down motions on the tow bar - I've noticed the brake indicator flicker more than once when encountering a sharp bump, usually on a secondary road.  If the issue is in fact caused by up/down motion, the spacers on the side may not be sufficient.  Please keep us posted.  ...  Steve

I believe mine was rubbing while braking in turns and not up and down movement. My cable is pretty well centered up and down, and I don't typically drive my mh on bumpy roads. I played with it some before mounting my rollers, and it doesn't take much of a turn to put the cable against the side of the bracket. If one is coming to a stop light and wanting to make a right turn, for example, when you take off, you are turning at the same time the Ready Brake is releasing tension allowing the cable to rub against the side. I think they could probably eliminate most of that by just rounding over the inside edges of the bracket slot.

That makes sense, Dennis.  That explains why the frayed sleeve starts an inch or so behind the slot when everything is straight and level.  Thanks.  ...  Steve

I saw that it might be a problem when I bought this a few years ago. So I simply slid a piece of clear tubing down over the cable before I made it up  permenently . then spray it w/ a little bit of silicon every once in awhile.  haven't had a problem in the last 2 years. oh, I did file  down the edges of the cut out.  Robbie

riggarob said:
I saw that it might be a problem when I bought this a few years ago. So I simply slid a piece of clear tubing down over the cable before I made it up  permenently . then spray it w/ a little bit of silicon every once in awhile.  haven't had a problem in the last 2 years. oh, I did file  down the edges of the cut out.  Robbie
I approached mine a bit different.  I cut two short pieces of vinyl garden hose then slit them lenghtwise and slid them over the metal bracket so the cable slides between them.  I used a wire tie to secure each in place.

Molaker said:
I approached mine a bit different.  I cut two short pieces of vinyl garden hose then slit them lenghtwise and slid them over the metal bracket so the cable slides between them.  I used a wire tie to secure each in place.

Now that I like Tom! That fits right in my wheelhouse!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenOldie
Back
Top Bottom