Real World Gas Mileage - Workhorse W22 - 8.1 Vortec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

Just finished entering my winter trip into my mileage spreadsheet and thought some might be interested in a few numbers. FWIW

The data covers June 2017 to date.

Figures assume a generator consumption of .55 gallons per hour. I arrived at this number using data from a period where the generator was used 65 hours and miles driven only 65 miles.

Target cruise speed is 63 MPH. This seems to be a sweet spot to minimize shifting out of OD on moderate hills. We alter this speed up or down depending on wind and other conditions. Cruise control is used most of the time.

Most all of the miles is pulling the CR-V toad.

The coach is fat. I'd hate to run across a scale.  ;)

Total miles driven: 21104 miles

Total Generator Hours:  176 hours

Total Gas Purchased:  3541 gallons

Gas Attributed to Generator:  97 gallons

Total Cost:  $8341

Average MPG: 6.13

Looks right on to me. During the winter of 2011 I kept track of mileage for our Workhorse W-24.  We pulled a car on a dolly then, and for the winter we averaged 5.89 MPG without subtracting for generator hours.

According to my records we paid an average of $3.27per gallon.  Dont miss those days!!

I did the math when I first started with this diesel coach and never since.. I don't figure I can change it much so why worry about it.>>>Dan

The 2002 W22 we had averaged about 7.6 mpg over 50k miles. Heavily weighted toward interstate cruising (we crossed the USA multiple times) where mpg was optimal, usually 8.0-8.1 at 64-65 mph.  Any sort of two lane highway dropped it to around 7.0, even at 55-60 mph.

Gary, was that pre-gasohol days?

I spent several hours reading posts on ?the other forum? about the UltraPower ECM tune. Most of these written in 2006. Stock mileage reports were mostly in the range you mentioned.

I don?t think I would achieve that even if I stripped the coach bare of stuff and left the toad home.

Tom

On our 2010 Bounder (F-53, V-10) we typically got around 7 mpg, usually running around 60-62 mph. On our 2007 Beaver (CAT C-13, 525HP, 45 ft length) we typically got 5-6 mpg, mostly on the lower end, running about 65 mph. On our 2016 Ventana (Cummins ISB 6.7, 360 HP, 38 ft length) we run up to 9.5 mpg, though it's usually closer to 8.5, also when running about 65 mph.

All the above figures are normally at highway speeds when pulling a Wrangler toad. Of course there are plenty of variations depending on terrain and winds, as well as traffic. The figures are also leaving the generator out of the mix -- we once stayed at Oshkosh for 3 days in the Beaver, running the generator the whole time because we needed the air conditioning. You can imagine what that did to fuel usage, though it wasn't quite as bad as I expected.

We have the same engine in our MH we avg 6.8 to 7.1 on all out trips from MI to the SW Arizona like they say
"It is what it is" but sure is fun

Ok the big question is, what do you think? Before we get into a bunch of "well you could do this" Let me know how concerned you are about the milage.
Bill

Tough question Bill. Guess I'm concerned enough to track it and take reasonable measures to make it better. However, I'm equally concerned about power.

We had one mountain pass (don't remember which one) going to Ouray, CO last summer where we were down to 25 mph and slowing. Was beginning to think I was going to have to block traffic and unhook the toad.

Tom

WILDEBILL308 said:
Ok the big question is, what do you think? Before we get into a bunch of "well you could do this" Let me know how concerned you are about the mileage.
Bill

I am not overly concerned about the mileage I get.  It is what it is.  I did a mileage check for two reasons.  First just out of curiosity, and second to compare my mileage to the people who are getting 8-10 MPG.  I dont see anything I could do to get that kind of mileage.

I havent calculated my mileage for this years snowbird trip, but I dont expect it to be any better than previous years.

Tom, our mileage is a bit better than yours.  We average 6.7 mpg over 6,509 miles assuming .55 gph for generator usage.  Our coach and toad combined weight is around 25,500 lbs.  That's pretty much West Coast driving with average speed of 60-65.  Our Pace had the UltraPower ECM tune when we bought it, so I can't compare before and after mileage or power.  But with 400 hp and 500 lbs torque, it's got decent getup and go.  Not totally comfortable with the UltraPower upgrade since the previous owner of our Pace had to replace the transmission at 30,000 miles.  I believe another Forum member with the UltraPower upgrade also lost the tranny on a similar year and size motorhome.  Just something to think about. 

We calculate our fuel mileage on every tank. Every tank on the SUV, every tank on the truck, and every tank on the RV.  I?m a numbers guy.

Why?  I like to keep score, and, if something is amiss with the engine, a sticking brake caliper, or whatever, these things can show up in your fuel mileage.

I know my golf score is never going to improve, but I still count strokes :p  And that is countless times more frustrating than calculating my fuel mileage.

FYI,  just completed a 2500 mile round-trip from Iowa to New Mexico And averaged about 8 MPG, our best ever.  That said, we had the wind at our back most of the way there and most of the way back.

Heli_av8tor said:
Tough question Bill. Guess I'm concerned enough to track it and take reasonable measures to make it better. However, I'm equally concerned about power.

We had one mountain pass (don't remember which one) going to Ouray, CO last summer where we were down to 25 mph and slowing. Was beginning to think I was going to have to block traffic and unhook the toad.

Tom

Ok you had one pass that slowed you in how many miles of travel? I have found (in my diesel) that if I am slowing or not able to accelerate in a gear I can manually downshift to keep my rpm in the upper power band.
What I am trying to say is I wouldn't be that concerned with power if it drove ok the rest  of the time. Big heavy vehicles require a slightly different driving technique.
Try experimenting with that before spending lots of money on a tuner. No it won't help with milage may help with the power issue.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom