rear end noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope that I am wrong but once you see the heat and metal shavings, the catastrophic event is already under way. A failure is logarithmic.

I had the oil changed with 75w 140 synthetic aims oil severe gear oil. the noise comming from the rear end is actually louder. very disappionting.

Dang sorry to hear that. It made sense to try a simple, low-cost noninvasive test first. Good luck with plan B.

I had the differential lube changed to a Aims oil sever gear synthetic gear lube,SEA 75w-140. They found little to no metal files in the old oil. The noise is actualy worse now. Is there an addative I can put in it to rduce the noise? The original lube is SAE 75W-90

No metal shavings is good. I don't believe there is any snake oil additive to help. There is not anything in the axle to make noise besides bearings and gears. The only other low-cost, low invasive thing try is to pull the front seal and front pinion bearing. Clean and inspect the front bearing looking for pits or scoring. If the bearing/race have ANY little pits, it is junk and needs to be replaced. You will need a new crush sleeve and seal to put it back together. Before taking it apart, use an inch pound torque wrench to measure the drag. I like the bar type for this job. This will be a comparative base line for the reinstall. I would use the factory spec for the reassemble. If that does not fix the problem, you are going to need a pro to go inside.

Good Luck
Dennis

One more note, if your axle has positive traction and the oil you put in is not for positive traction, you will need to add a friction modifier. I am not familiar enough with your axle to say. Good Luck

I understand what all has been saying. My question is if these assessments are correct, why does the noise in the rear end go completly away while deceleration. If I am going down a long grade, and am decelerating, the rear end is quiet.

the rear end is quiet.
Don't assume the noise is coming from where it sounds like unless you can prove it. Some vehicles get noises in one area that very clearly sound like they are from another area. It has happened to me.

In my case, it was a car with a loose nut on top the front right strut. It was many years ago, but IIRC, I found it by accident as I was not even looking in that area. There was no reason to. No noise from that area at all (while driving), but tightening that nut was the permanent fix.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom