Rear engine gas pusher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There have been only a few, and not very successful in the market either. 2008 Winnebago Destination was one, though most ended up with diesel rather than gas engines.
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/brochure/2008/08-Destination-Brochure.pdf

Workhorse Custom Chassis developed the UFO chassis, a rear engine chassis that was supposed to allow choice of gas or diesel. The engineering for the gas version was delayed, and ultimately only a few of the gas models were ever produced. They didn't catch on with the public either and soon faded into oblivion.

There were some other gas pusher attempts back in the 80's, IIRC, but not much came of them either.

Tow capacity is not determined by gas vs diesel - they both have enough horsepower if placed in a sturdy chassis with suitable transmission. Most gas chassis are designed for lighter duty and end up being limited to the 5000-8000 lb range for towing.

My read on the UFO chassis was that after some radiator cooling issues it was a great chassis. The engine was not heard or felt under most operating conditions. The recession killed Workhorse and their product.

Try to find a UFO chassis today. They are fairly scarce but are sought after in our part of the country.

It was a technically a good idea, but just didn't catch on. There were technical problems with the gas engine version when the UFO was first introduced, and the diesel version had no advantage over the existing entry-level Freightliner straight rail chassis. High end gas coach buyers didn't seem to to appreciate the advantages of a rear engine either, or at least not one that cost noticeably more than a front engine. Basically, those who wanted (and could afford) a pusher also wanted a diesel and air suspension, so they skipped the UFO in favor of  "the real thing". Only two manufacturers produced a coach on the UFO and neither one sold well.

The Freightliner front diesel (aka FRED) chassis suffered much the same fate. The advantages of a diesel engine vs gas in an otherwise similar chassis were not sufficient to get customers to pay extra for it. Further, more than a few buyers had reservations about going to diesel and simply felt more comfortable with the familiar gas engine. Attitudes have changed somewhat, but RV makers remember the FRED failure and are reluctant to try again. They lack the financial muscle to design new models with a chancey future.

Thats too bad. I like the idea of having no noise at the front, having more towing capacity, yet easy to maintain and easy to find gasoline in small towns and out of the way areas. I have a gasser now, and the only thing I dont like is the fact that I can only tow 5000 lbs. I have an enclosed trailer, which when I load it up it weighs in around 5k. The one issue with the diesel pushers is they mostly all have air brakes, which means where I live I have to get and upgraded Z endorsement on my drivers licence. I realize the advantages of diesel, better mileage, more towing capacity, engine brake ect. I have one friend who gets sick at the smell of diesel exhaust. The option of the rear gas engine seems to be a good one. Surprised it didnt catch on. I guess the price difference killed it?

Rexhall was producing a rear gas all the way to the end,  I talked to one guy that loved his.

Another factor in the demise of the UFO (and Workhorse) was the 2008 recession that severely curtailed RV sales. Then GM dropped the 8.1L gas engine as well, another nail in the coffin lid for Workhorse.  Navistar bought them (and Monaco) and got into deep trouble with their Ford contract as well as the EPA and pretty much abandoned both Monaco and Workhorse. Those were very troubled years for the RV industry.

However, I still think a gas pusher doesn't have enough extra value for the cost. Lower-priced diesel pushers with air suspension & brakes cost only a little more than a gas pusher and provide much more in return. Tiffin's success with the entry level Breeze pusher and the slightly more upscale Allegro Red pusher says a lot about what the buying public wants.

In my opinion probably the best gas pusher ever built was the FMC line of coaches.  But they were in the last 70's, but very well built and solid coaches, built from the ground up as an FMC coach, not a box put on a standard chassis.  I tried to get one of those when my wife and I were looking for our first motorhome back in 1995 but they were hard to find in fair condition.  Back in the early 90's I built a new Mopar 440 for a guy with one and ran an Air Research EFI system on it and the guy loved it.  I was very impressed with the FMC coaches but unfortunately they really didn't take off on the market.

Mike.

I helpled my friend change the transmission in his 92 bounder dp. The driveshaft was about a foot long. Compare that to my gas puller, you have 20 some ft of driveshafts, hanger bearings and universal joints to wear out. Far less moving parts under there with a pusher.

Gary,
over the years I've driven many large 15 speed 54k lb. gvw Gas powered commercial trucks with air brakes, air brakes and air suspension are not a diesel only thing.

and wouldn't a rear gas with an Allison trans, have just as short of a drive shaft as an oil burner ?..

and I'd also think the gas pusher would be easier to keep cool than a diesel. 

typically a D/P coach costs 30%+ more that a gas coach, so the question is what's the price difference on a gas pusher (when they were still available)

a few good points of a gas pusher...

no massive diesel engine noise..(inside or out)
lower cost and easy to do repairs. 
a diesel chassis.
front entry door.

I'd love to have one of those new style 34 foot double wall slide Rexhall gas pushers.

I think the magic is keeping the size of the motorhome within a good working gas power range.
with only 6 gears in that Allison trans, Gas power is not a good choice for a 50k lb. tag axle 45 footer towing a 3 axle stacker trailer.

My buddy that I go RVing and 4 wheeling with has a UFO chassis, 2008 Winnebago Adventure Limited, its a nice coach, the hitch is 5000LBS, which is fine for him, he likes it a lot, I have a W22 chassis as well, which is good, because we usually travel together so we can share our knowledge and parts if necessary.

Sure he could of gone with a DP, but he also likes to do his own maintenance, and both of us are already knowledgeable with gas engines, and feel that we could get ourselves going again with minimal inconvenience. Sure we might be going a little slower up some grades but that's alright with us.

Tony all good points but the times and market just didn't support it.
"no massive diesel engine noise..(inside or out)" I need to look at the tack to see if my diesel is running. ;)

Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
Tony all good points but the times and market just didn't support it.
"no massive diesel engine noise..(inside or out)" I need to look at the tack to see if my diesel is running. ;)

Bill

me thinks Tony and many others are conscious of the loud noise of a diesel starting up in a campground on a quiet morning. Of course when looking at your tach, not tack, you will  not be in a position outside to hear the engine's distinctive diesel rattle.

We have a great engine in our CC but we are still very conscious or maybe self-conscious? when we leave a campground. With the UFO and other gassers, it's easy to sneak out and disturb minimal other campers, or neighbors if you are leaving home,  with the sound and smell of the diesel.

on the diesel positive side ...I believe the newer diesels have gotten quieter,    especially in the newer pickup trucks.

but putting all that diesel engine noise forty foot away and covering it up with a mattress doesn't make every D/P library quiet inside.... it means the driver's area is relatively quiet.

have someone go back to get some rest going down the highway in a diesel pusher,  tell them it helps to put some soft music on.... with headphones  :)

yes,  I already know some people may believe that would be absurdly dangerous... it is not illegal.

I wonder what the availability of parts would be for these ufo chassis. If they only made 600 units, it could be hard to find part for these oddballs.

muskoka guy said:
I wonder what the availability of parts would be for these ufo chassis. If they only made 600 units, it could be hard to find part for these oddballs.
Unless it is a spechial bodey part all parts come forme somewheare. Most all are avalible.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom